Engine Choice For My Crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

XZILER8

Hey,

I'm not trying to be an ignorant n00b here, but I keep goin back and forth on which engine I want to buy for my 88 crx hf.

The people that I have asked locally have told me the following:

--If I'm going to boost, then I should use the 1.8 Ls engine.
--If I'm going all motor, then I should use a b16 sirI
--They also told me that If I'm boosting, then Vtec is pointless(thus backing up the Ls suggestion)

I do want to boost eventually and whatever choice I go with, I'm going to have a good amount of machine work done.

Is the information I've been given accurate?

Thanks

I believe that the FI LS route is very viable, but really if you are going all motor, a B18C would be a better starting point than a B16 I believe. Since you say that you would like to eventually go with FI, and you state that you want to do machine work, I would reccamend going the B20 route. If you decide to get info on the B20 look at celesta's posts (I havn't posted much on this board so I'm not sure on the spelling of his name), and you will be able to get one fast car.

Another thing I've heard is that the b20 block doesn't hold boost very well and that boring out the Ls block is a better route.

again, I don't know if this info is accurate, but that is why I haven't put much consideration into the b20

The B20 will hold plenty of boost. Boring out an LS block will cost you a whole lot more than boosting a B20 block.

B20 = $600-800 for long block
B18 + sleeve = $250 + $1300 (resleeve and pistons)

You're looking at almost a $1000 difference. The B18 resleeved will be stronger, but it all depends on how much you want to boost. Mild boost levels, say 8-10 psi on one of the more standard turbo setups will hold just fine on either block.

how well will the b20 fit in that car?

I was under the impression that the 1.8 fits only if you dent the "frame"(for lack of a better term) a little.

how does the r/s ratio of the b20 compare to the b18?

you have to dent the frame to swap in any b series into the crx. its so the alternator will clear. but the biggest problem with space, is that they all hit the hood (unless you get a b16). but any way, i say go b18c, good ofr boost or all motor.

Back