Engine cleaner/Degreaser?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
Just picked up a GSR block & b16 head for a pretty good deal & was wondering what I could use to clean the block & cylinder walls? I have brake cleaner, degreaser, carb cleaner but just wanted to know what is safe to use & what is the best stuff to use? Cyl. walls have a little surface rust on them so i want to take care of that as well. Eventually I will get it honed, but what sort of sandpaper should I use or what exactly should I use? This will be first engine build. :thumbsup:

Don't touch the cylinder walls unless you have the boring tools. Sandpaper and your fingers will ruin that sleeve in 3 swipes.

The only way to get it looking "catalog fresh" is either sandblasting, or tanking... Sandblasting a bit better (Seal those holes !) and the only way to get the sleeves right is now to be a bore and hone. Then get new rings.

Rust on the cylinder wall is devastating.

I'm sorry, I was dead tired last night. Theres no rust on the cyl. walls, just a layer of like oil/carbon whatever it is. I was going to dissasemble the block soon & wanted to just clean up the walls for inspection & before a hone. What cleaners can be used to clean the outside of the block & the cyl walls? Brake cleaner, simple green...? Your saying the only thing I should use on the walls is wd-40 & a scratch free spronge?

use muriatic acid cut with water and a pressure washer. that did wonders for my LS block

you can buy muriatic acid at the hardware store. I used Marvel mystery oil to clean the gunk off the cylinder walls, and it worked pretty well.

you can get it at grocery stores in tx (dont know about other places) its with the pool supplies.

go to a quarter car wash. it wont hurt aluminum... you cut it with water... spray on, let sit briefly... hose off... an agitator might help for the stubborn spots. get the walls honed afterwards... it never hurts

highly illegal to spray muriatic acid down a sewer.. so be mindful of the time you choose to do it... and shady neighborhoods are better

this is my old LS block

before:
front_of_block.JPG

after:
acid_font.JPG

That's Awesome...

Yeah, muriatic acid is just a weaker form of HCl. Not too good for the environment.

Im not too fond of using muriatic acid,(ew im getting that smell/taste in my mouth now of the fumes) but in the block has so many small tight spots that are hard to wipe down the acid gets in there and just eats.
make sure u rinse it off good(that acid will eat a hole right through the block...we did it in my high school to a 1/2 inch thick piece of aluminum and muriatic acid) and then give it a coating of oil of some sort to help prevent corrosion.
high temp paint also sometimes looks good depends on how fancy u wanna get with it.

Back