Engine Cleaner

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
While my engine is out, I'd really like to make it sparkle. Whats some really good engine cleaning products on the market I can pick up at a local auto store/hardware whatever store for that matter. B)

Simple Green is good.

Oh and get some carb cleaner, that stuff works great for tough grease. The best stuff is B-12, but the 79 cent stuff from WalMart works really good too, its all basically the same. Just dont use it on plastic and stuff, only on the metal so you dont mess anything up.

the airforce did a test with simple green a while back,the soaked aluminum in it, and weighed it before and after, and after it weighed less,so now they dont allow it to be used on their planes. Gunk foaming engine cleaner works well, and so does greased lightning.

Also after you got it cleaned up really nice go over the block with 00 steel wool it give it a nice shine that i noticed stayed for a while.

id like to clean up the oxidation <sp? off my block, i keep my motor clean using degreaser, purple power, and engine brite...basically tried them all, but after awhile it has built up on the block, has anyone successfully removed this before...i was thinking of unbolting the headers (duh) and trying scotch brite and then going over it with steel wool or something? anyone?

anyone ever use that red stuff I want to say it's called red hot? I can't remember the name but I used it not that long ago and my engine was on bling bling status. you just have to dilute it or it starts to eat away at stuff.

Simple Green owns j00!!!

and GoJo, its technically a hand cleaner, but we discovered it works amazingly well at getting stuff like carbon off your bumper, and stuff like that.

I used Gunk from Oreilly's.... it was 2.49 a can. and has lasted the entire engine bay and a tranny. Ill post pictures.

Originally posted by b18si@Apr 4 2004, 04:51 PM
id like to clean up the oxidation <sp? off my block, i keep my motor clean using degreaser, purple power, and engine brite...basically tried them all, but after awhile it has built up on the block, has anyone successfully removed this before...i was thinking of unbolting the headers (duh) and trying scotch brite and then going over it with steel wool or something? anyone?

Get out your cordless drill. Get one of those wirebrush attachments, and go over the engine block with that, untill it hits the bare metal. Buy some high temperature paint, and walla!

Back