engine code 6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rsaeini

ok, i finally put the civic back together yeterday and when i finally got around to starting the damn thing up i'm getting a check engine light, code 6. i know the code is for the "engine coolant temprature sensor and circuit" but i wanna know if any one ever gotten this before.
if so, what was the problem with your particular case. what did you have to do to fix it.

this happened late last night and i was too damn tired to look to try to figure out the problem. i put the motor back in yesterday and refilled the radiator, i plugged everything back in like it was supposed to be and then this happened. the engine runs fine but the check engine light is there and i don't want to risk driving it cuz i don't want the car to overheat or anything.

i'm going to check it out when i get home but i wanted to get some suggestions.

I can't tell you what the problem is, BUT....You should know that there is at least one temperature switch(for your fan), maybe two if you have AC(condenser fan). The small sensor looking thing on your head is a temperature sender(signal to your dash). Last but not least, you will have a temperature sensor. The sensor is the one that sends the signal to your computer. A good schematic will show you which it is. Test the sensor. Make sure your fan is working properly. It is possible to cross up your harness plugs. Fan and Sensor might be swapped, if it is not the stock harness. Hope I helped.

Originally posted by tab@Sep 8 2003, 05:15 PM
I can't tell you what the problem is, BUT....You should know that there is at least one temperature switch(for your fan), maybe two if you have AC(condenser fan). The small sensor looking thing on your head is a temperature sender(signal to your dash). Last but not least, you will have a temperature sensor. The sensor is the one that sends the signal to your computer. A good schematic will show you which it is. Test the sensor. Make sure your fan is working properly. It is possible to cross up your harness plugs. Fan and Sensor might be swapped, if it is not the stock harness. Hope I helped.

yeah, ummm...i sort of knew all of that already.

Back