Engine died, can't figure out what's wrong!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

$k@m Art1$t

Last Friday my 89 Civic Si died on me for the first time. I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. The past 3 days before the car died, there were moments where the engine would stall and lose all power for a few seconds and then everything would be back to normal. Basically all power was lost even when I was trying to accelerate, this happened at least twice a day. I've hard wired the fuel pump to see if the engine is getting fuel and its got fuel all the way to the fuel rail. However, no fuel will come from the main fuel line when I turn the ignition on. I tested the main fuel relay and that works fine. Does anyone have any clues? The engine rotates fine and it sounds like she wants to start but won't. Only other thing I can think of is the pressure regulator or something else electronic that controls the fuel.

Originally posted by $k@m Art1$t@Jul 29 2004, 01:03 AM
its got fuel all the way to the fuel rail. However, no fuel will come from the main fuel line when I turn the ignition on.
[post=369660]Quoted post[/post]​

have you checked to see if it's getting passed the injectors?

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Jul 29 2004, 03:59 AM
[post=369704]Quoted post[/post]​

No, I haven't. It was getting late when I was doing these tests and didn't want to bother with checking the injectors yet. I've read some articles on the internet and many of them point to the main fuel relay. I've had past problems when the car didn't start when the motor was hot for a few minutes, then all of a sudden it worked normally. My car is pretty old and I live in Hawaii where it's hot and humid all year, which would wear out that relay quicker than in most other places. I'm not sure though, because I did the three continuity tests and they all passed. You guys think the relay could be a big possibility for the car not starting? The relay clicks when I turn the key on, but the fuel pump does not click on like it should. Dunno if its the wiring harness or the relay itself. It can't be the fuel pump cause it works and pumps when I connect it directly to the battery.

The only reason I even checked mine was because the steering column started smoking a few weeks ago.

whoooaaaa... i would have checked it too
lol

i hope you carry a fire extinguisher now...?

you may want to check your distributor...
the screw on my rotor inside the distributor decided to take a walk, and i guess this has happened to other people as well...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 29 2004, 08:57 AM
the screw on my rotor inside the distributor decided to take a walk, and i guess this has happened to other people as well...
[post=369852]Quoted post[/post]​

yes, that has happend to me before

sometimes what you think is shaft play is actually play where the rotor meets the shaft, that part can get kinda bent out of shape and give some play

I've also heard that when the ignitor in the distributor is going out, the car will die when warm, and start back up after cooling off.

Originally posted by $k@m Art1$t+Jul 29 2004, 05:06 AM-->
B16RacerN2NR
@Jul 29 2004, 03:59 AM
[post=369704]Quoted post[/post]​

No, I haven't. It was getting late when I was doing these tests and didn't want to bother with checking the injectors yet. I've read some articles on the internet and many of them point to the main fuel relay. I've had past problems when the car didn't start when the motor was hot for a few minutes, then all of a sudden it worked normally. My car is pretty old and I live in Hawaii where it's hot and humid all year, which would wear out that relay quicker than in most other places. I'm not sure though, because I did the three continuity tests and they all passed. You guys think the relay could be a big possibility for the car not starting? The relay clicks when I turn the key on, but the fuel pump does not click on like it should. Dunno if its the wiring harness or the relay itself. It can't be the fuel pump cause it works and pumps when I connect it directly to the battery.
[post=369718]Quoted post[/post]​

If your fuel pump is not priming I'd double check the main relay. Just because it clicks doesn't necessarily mean it's working. The solder connections inside tend to break. I'd rip out the relay and resolder all the connections.

Back