engine for 1997 honda civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nik83twins

I have a 1997 honda civic ex with a 1.6.liter v-tec(D16Y8) engine currently in the car. I need to replace the engine. I have been shopping around and have found a good price on a 1.5 liter engine from japan. Although, many people have been telling me that it will go in fine in my car, i have now also been told while calling around to see how much people would charge to put it in, that i need to put the same engine in it that is currently in it due to the fact that the computer in the car is formatted for the 1.6liter v-tec engine, putting in a 1.5 or a non v-tec engine could cause things to shut down, go haywire and end up costing me a ton more money when i have to have more worked on, the engine taken back out.. and so on and so forth.. I was planning on putting my honda up for sale because i have twin daughters and we just need a bigger second car, I love my honda its my baby but that time has come. But then this happened. Not to many people want to buy a car that needs a new engine, not to mention I wont get much for it. Its in wonderful condition, has nice modifications, but just has this one problem Anyways.. to my question.. Does anyone know 100% if a 1.5 liter can go into my car and not have any problems. I still plan on selling it so i want to fix it up the cheapest way possible and still give someone a decent car. Any other suggestions on how to handle this situation:confused:

Back