engine grounding kits

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
so im always trying to think of ways to make my integra better.... its 15 years old and the oem ground cables dont exactly look factory fresh. what do you guys think about grounding kits? there are many on ebay, among other places. is it worth it to buy a kit or should i just make my own? any input is appreciated :)

Make your own.

Don't buy that overpriced crap wire they sell at audio stores (especially the amp kits). Go to an electronics supply store (a real one, not Radio shack) and buy stranded amp wire by the foot. 8 gauge is good for most grounds but the battery should be 4 awg. Also, don't buy those gold plated ring terminals. Just get regular ass metal.

The hard part will be crimping the heavy gauge wire since I know you're not going to drop $200 on the proper tool. You can use a table vice. But the 8 gauge can be crimped with a regular albeit good crimping tool like the Channel Lock 909 you can get from Lowes or Home Depot.

You should also get some heat shrink tubing and a Harbor Freight heat gun as it makes things so much cleaner looking and it will last longer.

Don't go all crazy with ground wires everywhere. Just replace the stock wires and add maybe 2 more. One to the thermostat housing and maybe a 4 gauge from the starter mount bolt direct to the battery ground point on the shock tower. I also like to branch 12 gauge from the grounds in the little yellow boxes behind the headlights to the nearest ground ie the valve cover core support ground on the drivers side and the tranny to frame ground on the passenger side.

Makes a big difference on EFs and DAs.

Back