Engine Hesitation at WOT

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dgie31

1998 Acura Integra LS B18B1
I just rebuilt my engine and fired it up tonight for the first time. It seems to idle fine and I have good oil pressure 60 psi at 2000 rpm. The problem I am having is that when you open it up there is a lot of delay before the engine revs. What could be causing this? also I am not getting an engine light so I am assuming that no codes are being thrown.

Last edited:
Your timing could be off also if you removed your TPS you need to check it and adjust it.

my votes on timing, but you could also check how tight your throttle cable is, a loose cable will cause similar affects

I checked the TPS today via Helms manual. TPS seemed to be out of the required service, limits. I ordered a new one today. If this does not fix the problem then what else other then timing and cables could I look at? Is it possible I could be one tooth off on the cam pulleys, could this cause this?

My vote goes to fuel delivery.
x2

If you rebuilt your engine to something other than stock, your stock pump might not be giving you enough/too much fuel. Or it could just be giving out on you. Check your Fuel pressure.

I did try to adjust the TPS in the closed position and could not get it within specs.
The engine is stock and was honed, all I did was put new rings, rod bearings, main bearings, and new oil pump in it. Also I head the head reworked while it was off. I am still using the old fuel filter which is not that old, but can change it out. I did reuse the old injectors but did clean the crap off them, I am hoping that it is ok that they can go in either port since they may have gotten mixed around.

Last edited:
I cleaned them with Gasoline and no I do not have anyone with a throttle body that I can borrow from, sure wish I did....

I have the same problem with my 00 prelude, I changed the fuel filter and soaked the injectors in gas. Did a basic tune up and checked all vacuum lines. Im assuming after all that it's my timing.

Well I replaced the TPS but I doubt it was that, instead it turned out that I was one tooth off on the cam pulleys, I did not see the two marks on the cam pulley that needed to be aligned, so the timing was out. The big giveaway was when I advanced the timing and checked it with a timing light it advanced way past TDC and could not retard it back to the red mark where it needed to be.

thanks everyone, reps given......

Last edited:
Back