Engine Idle after mod

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SycoMike

Newbie here, but soon to be frequent visitor.

I have a 93 del Sol with a GSR B18C1 engine swap.

Last night we installed a Skunk 2 intake manifold along with a fuel rail.

Problem: With the idle sensor plugged in the idle is uncontrollable (4000-6000).
Unplugged, and the idle has the beat of a bad base (up & down).

It's been recommended that I buy a new throttle body now. Not a problem, but I'd rather not spend the $$$ if there is something I over-looked.

Any thoughts appreciated!!!!

-Mike

sounds like you got a leak.. have the car running and spray carb cleaner around the base of the intake manifold and anything else on the manifold that has a gasket... you'll find your leak that way

The gasket between the new intake manifold and the block was in pretty bad shape. I am sure it leaks. Would this cause this problem?

I went to Autozone and ordered a new gasket.
I know I should have done that right from the start, but as my dad says, I'm always in too big of a hurry to do it right.

Thanks all for your help!!!!!!!

-Mike

wow...

you could also invest in the hondata headshield intake manifold gasket

datalogging proved that intake temps were less during everyday driving... but try making a pass at a dragstrip, then letting your car sit... still 130+ degrees..

but if you've got some other things done, and you need to take off the intake manifold.. might as well do it... maybe take the head off and get it milled while you're at it

OK... new gasket installed. Also had to change the o-rings on the fuel injectors. Appears to show no leaks (no bubbles using carb cleaner), but that stuff sprays on so hard, it is really tough to tell. I'm sure all is tight. Problem improved, but it's still there. Engine idle now BOUNCES 500 - 3000, 500 - 3000, 500 - 3000. I also did a complete coolant flush to no avail. Going to replace PCV valve this afternoon and see what happens.

Any more thoughts? This problem only started after I installed the Skunk 2 intake manifold and AEM fuel rail. I put the stock fuel rail back on too but the problem still was there to a lesser degree.

Any suggestions before I have to spend money on an o2 sensor ($200) or a new throttle body ($300).

UUUGGGGHHHHHH

-Mike

SycoMike said:
OK... new gasket installed. Also had to change the o-rings on the fuel injectors. Appears to show no leaks (no bubbles using carb cleaner), but that stuff sprays on so hard, it is really tough to tell. I'm sure all is tight. Problem improved, but it's still there. Engine idle now BOUNCES 500 - 3000, 500 - 3000, 500 - 3000. I also did a complete coolant flush to no avail. Going to replace PCV valve this afternoon and see what happens.

Any more thoughts? This problem only started after I installed the Skunk 2 intake manifold and AEM fuel rail. I put the stock fuel rail back on too but the problem still was there to a lesser degree.

Any suggestions before I have to spend money on an o2 sensor ($200) or a new throttle body ($300).

UUUGGGGHHHHHH

-Mike

damn dude go get a junker o2 sensor for free!:lol: what about your iacv? have you checked that? thats all i got sorry if i couldnt be anymore help:mellow:

sounds like a vaccum leak to me, or a mis-routed vaccum hose. Triple check all of your hoses, take each one off individually and plug the hole with your finger. See if any of that fixes your idle. Did you cap-off any vaccume ports or hoses? are there any vaccum ports that are just open? sucking air?

And the carb cleaner isn't supposed to bubble. You listen to your engine while its running, if the idle changes when you hit a spot with the carb cleaner, you have a leak.

Did your fuel rail come with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Did you get the vaccum hose re-attatched correctly? have you checked fuel pressure?

p.s. a new throttle body won't help anything. get it working good, then change if you want a new TB.

P.S.S. Your throttle body gasket, did you replace that? check it for leaks for sure.

Last edited:
your ecu will tell you if these are malfunctioning
i understand shotgunning parts at your car but at least do it in a sensible and logical manner...???

doesn't the GSR have IAB's? does the skunk 2 have IAB's? i doubt it
what computer do you have?
do you have a CEL?
did you replace all gaskets properly? did you clean the surfaces properly?

i'm willing to bet you have at least 1 CEL code

Back