engine idle real high!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleepercivic69

i just finished my swap and it finally turned over but it idles at like 5500 rpms!!! i dont know whats up. my setup right now is a p28 with a vafc. any suggestions?

sounds like you may have a huge vacuum leak, throttle cable too tight or throttle body not closing

i think it is a vacuum leak somewhere but i dont know where. does anyone have a diagram i can look at?

i would say you probly just have the vacuum lines wrong, this happend to me on my first swap and after searching i found a good diagram and it fixed my problem, ill see if i can find it for you. -mike

Take off the intake piping and see where your throttle body is resting. if the butterfly is open, your throttle cable must be too tight, or the parts themselves are sticking.

Also, are you throwing any TPS codes? IACV codes?

i dont have the purge cut solenoid on my intake. would that be the problem cause the throttle body is not sticking and i loosed up the throttle cable and how would i check ecu codes?

Last edited:
ok i traced the problem down to the tps. the voltage was at like .65 or somethin so i took it down to .35 and would fluctuate. i was kinda glad cause i knew that it was somethin simple. so then i took it up to .4v and it revved high again. i know for a z6 the tps should be at .45v. anything else it could be?

Did you check your codes yet?
You can check codes by jumping the little blue plug under the glovebox (usually clipped in/suspended somehow from the factory).
It's on the right side wall under the dash.

yeah i closed the circuit on the plug but didnt do anything. no light show in the dash or anything. right now the tps is at .42v. it seems like if i go any higher then the engine revs up.

The first gen B16's are about 0.3V closed throttle if i remember right & my B18 is 0.5V,so the 0.65V does seem a little outta spec.

Check all the hoses and connections.

Have u had a play with the idle set screw yet?

Dont know much about your setup,but do u have a fast idle valve on yours?

If so,pull the intake piping off & see if u can still feel air sucking through the lower hole just before the throttle valve when its all warmed up.

Back