engine is over heating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Arachnid

my engine over heats when i drive about 4 blocks. does anyone know what is wrong.

i've checked all hoses and have added more than enough coolent for the rest of the cars life. i've heard that it might be the thermameter or the water pump. if so does anyone know how to check on either of the above named.

I would suggest you try replacing the thermostat before you go for the water pump because it it a lot easier to do.

Ben

changed thermostat, still not cooling down, maybe because of the radiator itself. or the water pump.

skunk2 IM, headers, front mount intake, spark plugs and wires, clutch, flywheel...that's it, how would i check for the timing (distibutor?) what does timing have to do with engine cooling.

if the timing is to far advanced you will run very hot is your header glowing when your car over heats.

do what the other guy said.

Check and SEE if BOTH raditor hoses are very HOT. IF one is hot, and the other not so hot, your thermostat is bad, and you need another one.

Check your radiator fan too, see if it goes on.

Jeff

I would check the fan first of all,

but you may consider replacing the piston rings in the future and it depends how hard did you boiled it, probably the main and rod bearings and also,

.....overheating is a biach,

ok i've got it, found out what the problem was, there seems to be a leak underneath the car, it comes out of a plastic tube that is cut in on either sides. I think it's the heater motor that is leaking the fluid out, does anyone know of anything else.

The heater core hoses go from the engine side of the thermostat housing to the firewall, at least in my teg they do. You must be leaking a TON of water out to overheat it that quick. Like the other guys said, check all your coolant hoses, and make sure all you connections and clamps are tight.

dont forget to bleed it when your done. no one has mentioned that yet....

yea if you dont bleed it you'll have air in the cooling system, which overheats motors easially. My friend had his crx after he swaped his engine, didnt know you had to bleed it, and just poured antifreeze in(no water at all). he drove like 1 1/2 miles and didnt watch temp gauge and blew er up. I dont know what the kid was doing swapping his engine, if he dosent know the basics of automechanics.

bleeding the coolent is pretty easy right, all you need to do is add coolent to its level and its mixture and leave the radiator cap off while the engine is runnin' right? wait just a for maybe 30 secs to a min. and put the cap back on right? and then check coolent level and add as necessary right? plus have heater on full blast... anyone know of any other methods?

No. On the thermostat housing is a bleed screw. open it up, and fill the radiator till you get a steady amount of coolant coming from the screw. that gets all the air out. Then fill up the overflow to the level on the bottle.

How many miles, if it is overheating after 4 blocks you hay have other problems. That is awfully fast for either a bad Therm or an air lock...

Back