Engine Knocking?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sbc

when driving at low rpm up to 4k(in every gear) i hear like a rattle noise(sounds sort of like somthings loose) from the engine. i have looked under the car and have not seen anything obvious that was loose. can this noise be the engine knocking?
heres my set up i just got
>b18c1 odb1 in EG(95si)
>polished crank
>CTR over size
>over size bored
>honed
>clean
>dected
>JDM rods
>ITR valuetrain set
>New crank bearings-rod bearings all new .
>Dc 4-1 header
>oil pump- water pump
>8.5 wires
>ENGINE balanced double check clearance -rods-and main bearings
im am currently running a p28 w/hondata. now if it is the engine knocking, can i just use an ecu that looks for a knock sensor?
any suggestions will help thanks!

Damn, you don't have 93 octane where you live?

Dunno if this helps but in my car when i changed the exhaust i got a rattling noise, I thought it was my tranny but it turned out to be the primary pipe in the exhaust rattling against the insulator pipe. I'm not sure if your car has that but my car does. TO fix it the muffler shop just tacked it up so it wouldn't rattle anymore. :shrug2:

thanks for the suggestion, i checked under the car and the knocking noise seems to be coming from block internally. does anyone know if i run with a higher octane, will it stop the knocking? or maybe use a p72 since it searches for a knock sensor?? and what will happen if i continue to drive with this knocking...detionation?
any help will be appreciated!!

I would try i run some better gas and see if that stops the knocking. But i live in cali like you and all we get is 91 octane piss water, thank god there is a 76 by my house the sells 100 octane for 5.25 a gallon, so at least i can run alittle mix of gas.

Throw a bottle of octane booster(available at any parts store - there's many different brands) in with your gas and see if the knocking stops. If it does, then you know the problem is in not having high enough octane gasoline. If the knocking continues despite the octane booster then you know the problem lies elsewhere. The beauty of it is, the octane booster is only a couple bucks so finding out whether or not the octane level is the problem won't cost you much at all. However, if it keeps knocking then you probably have a deeper more severe problem.

Good luck!

ok so thats what i did. i got a bottle of octance booster from an autoparts store. i poured that mofo in and got a new tank of gas. i did notice that the noise has reduced quite a bit in 1st and 2nd gear, but its still there. the bottle i bought didnt say now many points it would raise, i did see some other manufactuers that says their octane boost can raise up to 7points. maybe i should get one with a higher piont rating???
and how serious is it when i drive with the knocking? safe?

Back