Engine/ labor price????????????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bertcall

Not even a week ago, I bought my self a 94 Del sol, with a B16a engine in it. The car has full breathing installed. I really like the car. So i wanted to see how good this car was, the guy who sold it to me said it redlined at 9000rpm. I was on third gear, while shifting to fourth i heard a grinding noise, thinking i was in fourth i hit the gas , and BOOOOOM! White smoke came out of my exhaust. so i pulled over and i noticed the intake awas leaking oil/water and so was the Exhaust. Now my car wont start (man i feel like crap) Now im try to find out how much the price on a B16a engine, and how much it would be with labor and all. HELP!

That sucks, and that's another problem with ebaychips.
B16s redline at 8200, not 9000.
If you heard grinding you might have hit a valve or 4 before the head gasket took a nap.
That sucks dude..
A B16 longblock can be found for like $700-1300 or cheaper if you get the right deal.

Uhhh it depends what you wanna do? are u just gonna get a the engine fixed or are you gonna just get a new engine? if you're lookin at new engines i'd recommend hmotorsonline.com or osakajdmmotors.com. but ya the only honda engine that i know that comes close to redlining at 9k is the B18 and it still redlines only at 8900 so idk dude it depends on what ur goin for.

hmmmmm

When i got to that web page, should i be looking at long blocks only, or the whole thing (tranny and all)????

long blocks only. unless you want to upgrade to an lsd tranny

and stay away from oSUCKa unless you want your blown motor back.....

<z<

B16DelSol said:
Uhhh it depends what you wanna do? are u just gonna get a the engine fixed or are you gonna just get a new engine? if you're lookin at new engines i'd recommend hmotorsonline.com or osakajdmmotors.com. but ya the only honda engine that i know that comes close to redlining at 9k is the B18 and it still redlines only at 8900 so idk dude it depends on what ur goin for.

which b18 redlines that high? my jdm b18c is 8200

is it a bad thing to fix the engine instead of replacing it? ima have this done this weekend. and what does the hondata do to the engine?

The Hondata let's you see, record, and adjust some of your cars settings, fuel mapping, air fuel ratios, v-tec engagement and a few other ones, plus it has controls for auxillary equipment like nitrous. If you are going to be running some serious mods (turbo, supercharger, nitrous, etc...) then you might want to look into one. If the car came with one, and you just want to dick around with it, it comes with base maps for most motors, I would say set it to the base for your car and try a few things, a few educated things though, you wouldn't want to hurt anything, but since every build is different, maybe you could gain a few ponies from tweaking the Air/fule ratios or sliding up or down the RPM range for V-TEC activation. If you want to see the different things you can do with it Hondata - Honda ECU Modification and Enhancement is where you can download the software that accompanies the unit and you can really see what it does. Although, if you're just using stock motor with upgraded breathing, it might be a bit much to spend on what could potentially only be 4 or 5 added horses.

i was quoted $2500 on old engine take out(del sol S w/ auto), install jdm B16a //5speed conversion. not including ecu, shift linkage, pedal assembly, and possibly a clutch. and that was a "hook-up". i am still looking at a few other local shops. any thoughts from you guys?

osaka is usually pretty shady, nippon motors is a pretty reputable company.. lol are you sure you actaully shifted into 4th? coulda missed blew your synchro or something and just blew your engine in neutral... wouldnt that be sad

Thanks a lot everyone! When the mechanic opened up the engine the pistons were shattered!!!!!! pieces were all over the intake filter, and a lot of it came out through the exhaust! But i replaced the engine with a b16a JDM. I got it off of HMO, since its not to far away from me. Is there any place where i can get the engine dressed up, and do custom interiors?
-bert

Back