engine load detector? HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92tegGP

The Slut
Ok so I built my motor over the past few months and am running an Ls Vtec. I am throwing code 20 engine load detector and cant figure it out to save my life. I have about 625 miles on the motor and it’s all running fine besides the fact that I am throwing this code and I want it gone so I can crack some Vtec! Can someone please help or point my in the right direction.

It is a 1992 Acura Integra… Thanks

What dont you understand? Its pretty self explanitory. I dont have the answer, but I want to know what it is. I posted and that subscribed me to the thread, and bumped the thread to maybe help him get his answer. Any other questions?

What dont you understand? Its pretty self explanitory. I dont have the answer, but I want to know what it is. I posted and that subscribed me to the thread, and bumped the thread to maybe help him get his answer. Any other questions?

I thought you were trying to give information

If someone knows, I'd like to know also. I asked this same question in another thread for a 93 integra. No answers there either...

I read somewhere that it could be a grounded circuit or crossed wire in the ECU wiring.

your making a bad connection some where, Ive heard of people replacing the under the hood fusebox to fix this problem, others it hasn't done anything. Good luck, I would check every connection on the car, something is loose or isnt grounded that great

it looks for to low or to high of voltage, also inconsistances in voltage

9 times out of 10, code 20 (electric load detector) is caused by a bad or failing alternator - code shows up quite often when aftermarket alternator like ones from Autozone, Checker, etc. are installed

i had fried a alternator from my massive system back in the day replace the alt fuse box and traced lots of wires never have figured out what i f***** up it wont throw a cel so i just ignore it

i checked a bunch of shit today and still its throwing the code. im going to be back at it again tomarrow and we'll see what happens.. ill keep you posted to if i figure anything out and let me know if u do to thanks

What does the load detector look for exactly?

Haynes manual says: "The ELD system detects excess amperage draw (load) on the electical circuits that govern the headlights, fuel injection, charging system, etc. The prime symptom of an electrical overload is a driveability problem, usually occuring when the engine is idling."

Wow I can't believe I missed this huge discussion lol. I gotcha ;)

So the ELD is the Electrical Load Detector, you guys stated that. It's function is to monitor the electrical load system components are putting on the charging system. When there is low voltage, or mal-communication with the ECU it will set a trouble code.

You can try resetting the ECU by removing the positive terminal of the battery for a few minutes. If that doesn't work, check the voltage between the ELD 3P connector (located on the bottom of the underhood fuse box), wire 3 (green/red) and the chassis. It should read approximatly 4.5v. If there is not, check for a short in the wiring. If there is, replace the ELD. If there is no short, you have a faulty ECU.

And;
The ELD is an integral part of the fuse box and thus cannot be removed. It can only be replaced by replacing the entire underhood fuse box.

Let me know what's up!

:D

You can try resetting the ECU by removing the positive terminal of the battery for a few minutes. If that doesn't work, check the voltage between the ELD 3P connector (located on the bottom of the underhood fuse box), wire 3 (green/red) and the chassis. It should read approximatly 4.5v. If there is not, check for a short in the wiring. If there is, replace the ELD. If there is no short, you have a faulty ECU.

And;
The ELD is an integral part of the fuse box and thus cannot be removed. It can only be replaced by replacing the entire underhood fuse box.

Thats almost word for word, what it says in the haynes...

Back