Engine making rattling noise, calms when warm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cheef420

It's a rattling/clicking type noise when ever I first start the car. When warmed up can hardly hear it to it doesn't do it at all. Kinda sounds like an exhaust leak but also makes me think its about to throw a rod. Anyone have any advice or similar situation happen to their Accord.

I just did that 3 or 4 months, my car started doing this about a month ago. It seems to be coming from the general vicinity of the front right of the engine, near the exhaust manifold and alternator area.

One of your rods is getting ready to go bye bye. Don't drive it anymore until you replace the bearing, you'll render your crank completely useless if you haven't already done so.

Start your car up and pull the spark plug wires one by one. When the sound goes away you've found the cylinder with rod knock. If the sound doesn't go away you need to redo your valve lash. Noisy valves are always noisy though. I have a Comp 59300 cam and it's always loud, loudest on the secondary lobe but I can always hear my valves ticking until the exhaust drowns everything else out.

lol, my RM L21s are the same way. They are ALWAYS noisy, but less noisy when warm.

how about he might be runing to thick of oil for the tempature and its just a cold start with thick oil ???????

My B16A makes the same sound, much worse when cold. Doesn't seem to be load related so I'm thinking it isn't a rod knock. Also its intermittant, comes and goes. I've only had the car about a month, changed the timing belt today (which was very loose) but that didn't help. If you figure it out I would really apprecieate knowing what is was.

Thanks, technolud.

I've noticed that the D series does this a lot.
both my 95DX and my 98LX did it. only when it was cold.
I talk to a honda tech about it and he said it was a common problem and not a major issue, I guess he was right because I put about 30K miles on the car before pulling the motor for a swap.

the LX I had I had I think 112K or 130K when I sold it I can't remember. it made the same nose for the last year or two.

Not to say it isnt something else! but thats sounds like what it is.

Back