1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Mileage

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by tonyd1677, May 29, 2003.

1. tonyd1677

tonyd1677 Banned

I am looking into picking up an ls engine in the next couple of weeks. The engines that are available in my area have about 100-150k on the engine.

What is the max engine milage i would want on an engine i am going to rebuild, or does it even matter since i will be replacing pretty much everything in it. I will most likekly keep the rods though.

Thanks

2. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

There is no magical mileage where you will need a rebuild. It depends on how the engine was treated. You could get one that runs for another 150,000 miles of you could get one that is already dead. It really depends. Do compression and leakdown tests when you get the motor. Those will be your biggest clues.

3. tonyd1677

tonyd1677 Banned

Ok, thanks for the info

4. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

Well if your going to rebuild it really doens't need to be priority 1, But i would still check shit out both visual inspection on the oil,hoses,etc and do a leak down.

Milan

5. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

If you get a chance to start it, check the oil pressure as well. Those things should give you a decent idea of the condition of the engine.

6. zc_hatch

zc_hatch Senior Member

my 91 integra ls i just bought has 231,000 miles, it runs and drives and looks like a showroom car. it was a 1 owner old lady car, the only reason i felt safe buying it with high miles was she had every receipt for every oil change every month since it was new, whether it had 50 miles or 3k it was changed each month, also timing belt beens changed frequently, i took it to the track and ran a 16.0 on a slipping clutch all stock, just my info
    jones

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted