Engine mods for a newbie

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90AccordCDN

Howdy, i'm new here and don't know much about engines. But im willing to learn/experiment.

Basically I just bought a 90 Accord EX-R with 120,000km on it and it has an F22A4 in it. Thing is in AMAZING shape...

Just looking for cheap easy to do mods to give it more pep until I get more cash.

I have already taken out the intake/air box and attached a K&N to the 3in pipe. I'll have to extend it though since its hovering pretty close to the engine block and that puts out a fair amount of heat.

Replacing the wires and the Cap/Rotor is coming up. Bloody wires are expensive for this thing though.

Is there anything else I can do that's pretty cheap for now? Heard something about advancing the timings but I don't think that would work without changing the air/fuel ratio?

And what about those HP mod chips I see on ebay...

Any help would be appreiciated!

Read read read read read read read read ...

Then look into a junkyard turbo setup if you want the best bang for the buck.

About $200 at this very moment, will go up once I get some bills paid off lol

Junkyard turbo setup?

Wouldnt a turbo in a junkyard sell off super fast?

And just checking, I keep seeing people talking about H23 headers on an F22 block...is that the F22Bx block or the F22Ax block, and would that be worthwhile.

Im reading as much as I can, just making sure im getting it right, sorry lol ;)

Last edited:
well 200 byx wont get you much hp. I would save that money. Keep saving and get a turbo kit. Junkyard turbo kits dont come from a junkyard. its cheaper to piece your turbo kit together and fab some of the pieces . If your handy like that ... not to mention having the tools. Welder and shit. I have seen turbo kits built for right at 1k. headers wont do much, nor will your getto fab short ram make that much of a difference. your not going to get much power out of a nonvtec sohc motor unless you boost it or spend thousands making it a n.a beast.

If I had 200 bux. I would save it and get about 500 and buy a catback exhaust. Greddy, evo , skunk. ect.... your money your car. Do what you want . But I would look into building my own homemade turbo kit.

Contact turboauto on here. He might have some things for your motor.

You can throw a h23 intake manifold on there to get a little bit more power. More low to mid range torque. I have one on mine and it makes about 8hp. more. I bought another one to port and polish with my new bbk tb ... You can get them used for 40-140 bux . shop around .

Yeah I was looking at a Skunk. Probably the next thing that I do, need to replace it anyway since there's a hole in it :p

Thanks for the advice, if there's anything else you can think of...

set a goal on what Hp range or 1/4 mile time your looking to achieve. Then deciede on what you want to do with your car to get you there. Whether boost or n/a . But if you start throwing worthless ebay junk on there youll regret it later .

If you plan on boosting . I wouldnt do anything to the exhaust for now . I would look into a 3 inch catback exhaust and save for that. 3'' is the best for boost. I regret going 2 1/2 '' .

Im hoping for 200 eventually, might be asking a bit much...and thats not for a long time.

Maybe just even save up for a new engine, faster way to get there and I could always go higher.

I just realized how stupid that sounded...200 would be a bit much considering my budget and lack of experience i mean. Not sure how id get there without something more major considering its starting at 130hp.

What id LIKE to do is go nuts and put H22, turbo etc etc..put like 6-10,000 in and race it but I dont make anywhere near enough for that right now.

As for the exhaust it needs to be done anyway, theres a hole up near the engine and its supposedly 300+ to fix at a shop (screw that) so that might be one of the first things I do.

EDIT:

As an aside, some days the car will go like crazy and other days it bogs bad when I start from a full stop. Any idea what might be causing that? I checked the air filter and plugs and they are fine.

Last edited:
Back