1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine oil reducing

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by natecspecr, Apr 21, 2005.

1. natecspecr

natecspecr Member

Hi sir ,
    I am driving honda civic 92-95 (4drs) with B16A2 engine manual transmission . I had modify few things : -
    (1) upgrade ECU chipping to FEEL`s 5700-9600 rpm
    (2) 5 zigen 2" oval dual outlet exhaust and piping
    (3) modify close ration gear from 3rd/4th/5th gear

The problem is , my engine oil keep reducing from time to time , such as I have to keep adding engine oil every week about 1 liter . I am using engine ol grade 15/50w . I heard some said the close ratio gear will keep the engine at high rev then will cause the engine oil reducing . some said the engine oil valve seal already leaking ....
    Need your help .

Thank you .

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Are you using dino or synthetic? When I was using dino it was fine, never went low, then when I changed to synth, it burns off faster if I drive hard.

3. natecspecr

natecspecr Member

I am using synthetic oil (15w50)
    actually what is dino oil ? example please .

4. xj0hnx

5. wanderinman

wanderinman Senior Member

dino=dinosaur, as in the fact that conventional oil is just some old ass dinosaurs turned into black goo.

6. 97CTR

97CTR Senior Member

do you see alot of black smoke when you drive? It could be your rings, valve seals. Switching to conventional oil will help with your consumption but will not solve the problem.

7. formby

formby learning in progress

black smoke is gas

8. natecspecr

natecspecr Member

Yes , I am seeing a lots of smoke in black colour when the VTEC engage and at high rev whenever want to shift gear . In normal rev from 1000to 7000rpm no smoke come out even white / black colour .
    your mean piston rings ... but my I had already change my piston to B16A to B16B .
    may be could be the valve seals .....
    what is your opinion , this engine oil reducing doesnt cost by the ECU chipping / close gear ratio / .....something else ???

9. TechChris

TechChris Member

My bet is valve seals.

Chris

10. hondagod98

hondagod98 Junior Member

some black smoke at high rpm will be normal - actually good - if you're not seeing this your motor does not like you - you should be running rich at high rpm/when vtec is engaged... depending on how new your seals/gaskets in your motor are could be some of your problem - check over obvious ones (valve cover, oil pan, cam seals, distributor, crank, vtec soleniod, etc.) to see if you have a slow leak and go from there... it will be natural to burn a little bit of oil driving your car hard, but not as much as your describing... if nothing is leaking slightly, then i'd agree with valve seals unless your computer is somehow leaning out at high rpm then i'd say your new rings are already shot

11. natecspecr

natecspecr Member

Hi,
    My friend who also driving the same engine , but his engine never see black smoke even vetec engage or high rev shifting gear ? are this showing his car are running in not lean / rich mode . and his engine oil reducing a bit only maybe .
    How to know that the engine are running in rich / lean mode ? can your show / teach me how to tune the engine ? isnt tune the idle screw valve / distributor / throttle TPS ... ? Need your help .

12. noobvang

noobvang Senior Member

Had the same problem, had to add half quart every thousand miles or so to bring it up to level. Losing lots of oil when I was using Mobile 1 Tri-Synthetic, then I switched to Valvoline regular motor oil and my oil loss went away.

Wasn't really burning, cause I couldn't smell it or even see it. But the switch really solved my problem tho.

Hope this helps.

13. xj0hnx

White = coolant
    Blue = oil
    Black = excess fuel, running rich

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted