Engine Overhaul Or Used Engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blm143

I have a d16z6 engine with 139k on it and want to build up my car with a stock engine and do not want to do an engine swap to a b-series or other. so i wanted to get suggestions before i start reprogramming the ecu changing cam,pistons, i/h/e, or turbo kits i wanted to know should i overhaul the existing engine, what exactly should i do to it or get a used engine with about 70k on it instead and then work from there????can anyone as well suggest some places where to buy used engines or overhaul engines in new jersey that wont break my pocket.thanx again for the help

I would get it rebuilt, i dont know if you would install the motor yourself if you bought one with 70k on it but if you didnt your going to end up paying for install and other shit you need. just work with what you have, replace water pump, timing belt, plugs, wires, pistons and rings, distributor, valves. If some of these parts are working alright or are farely new then dont change them. If you are trying to build up your motor you might want to get performance pistons and other performance parts like cams stuff like that. good luck and just my opinion.

I agreee. Rebuild it.

But what I don't get is why people post things like this on hondaSWAP.

The z6 isn't a powerful motor (its not bad no, but it's not a B series.)

There have been dozens of discussions on why a person should just swap if they are going to do work like internals, valvetrain, turbo..etc.. (fully building.)
It's just going to cost less in the long run, produce more horsepower, and be a less of a headache finding parts with a B series.

For 1/2 of the cost of a z6 turbo kit you could get a B16 (or as much as the cams/camgears.) [not installed mind you], and it's going to produce 30 more HP than the stock z6.

I have a z6 in my stock 5th gen, but if I ever plan on putting money into the car (pending other issues) then it's going to be a swap for sure. A stock GSR is 40 more HP than a z6, and the LS is ~15 more but much more turbo/part friendly.
I figure there are a lot of people that come to these boards for direction (along with myself) but in all honesty, it would cost less and produce more HP with a swap, thats why people do them. Some people are scared to swap (Californians, like myself) have hard emission laws and other things like that... but a lot of the members here are from CA, and if you are not, then a swap would be so easy and not cause you a headache whatsoever.

But hey it's your money. If you want to spend twice as much building up an inferior motor to produce less power... thats your wallet.

ok here is why i do not want to do a b-series swap into my car right now. i do not have the 3 or 4k that places want to do the swap. i want to build up my car slowly but surely. so i want to be able to do one thing at a time. i know it is gonna prob cost twice as much as doing a swap. but if i can do it paying one thing at a time to build it up i would do that. yes i know then people will say just start saving up and thewn u can get it. but i cant save up money in a whole bunch like that. i will spend that money if i know i have it. use it for other reasons. its stupid i know. does anyone know of a shop in new jersey that does b-series swaps for decent prices????

Originally posted by blm143@Jan 30 2003, 12:25 PM
ok here is why i do not want to do a b-series swap into my car right now. i do not have the 3 or 4k that places want to do the swap. i want to build up my car slowly but surely. so i want to be able to do one thing at a time. i know it is gonna prob cost twice as much as doing a swap. but if i can do it paying one thing at a time to build it up i would do that. yes i know then people will say just start saving up and thewn u can get it. but i cant save up money in a whole bunch like that. i will spend that money if i know i have it. use it for other reasons. its stupid i know. does anyone know of a shop in new jersey that does b-series swaps for decent prices????

Find some people who know how to swap and make friends with them :)

If I ever do a swap I'm doing it my damn self. Especially if it's just a drop in swap (like B into a D series.)

3-4k? Wtf.

You can get an LS for $1200 some places. Put it in yourself and thats still only $1200.

Oh.. and a turbo kit will cost you between 2-3k, so don't tell me you can't save that much.

ok heres what you do ... instead of wasting money on an engine you dont want to keep ... just prep the rest of the car....
-do your suspension
-do the brakes
-lighten the car
-get rims/tires
-get an exhaust
-then swap the engine

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 30 2003, 12:32 PM
ok heres what you do ... instead of wasting money on an engine you dont want to keep ... just prep the rest of the car....
-do your suspension
-do the brakes
-lighten the car
-get rims/tires
-get an exhaust
-then swap the engine

True that.

Engine work isn't cheap my friend.
Neither is anything really.

What I do is take my checks and tips from work and put them all in my Checking account.
On the 1st of every month I take $500 from checking and put in savings. Whatever is left in checking I can spend or save or whatever I want to do with it.

It's an effective way to save $500 a month... I've got like $12k in the savings right now waiting for a good invest ment to be used on.
If I sell my Mustang (for 10k~ or so... ) Here comes the swap :)
But that is all pending in my mind right now.

cool, hexen you got the same car as me exactly. Props to coupe civic drivaz', Hb's are played out, representin the COOP-STIHLE!!!!!

Oh ya, D16=:ghey:

id love to do the b16 swap into my 95 coupe but dont know what do to to make it emissions legal any suggestions? also ive got parts out the butt for my d16z6 and dont want to get rid of so what can i do to my exsisting motor to make it more dependable when spraying nos? ive blown two heads, not that there to expensive but 200$ everytime i go to the track sucks both times it was exhaust valves, did i just get bad heads? if not the heads what can i do to prevent this without spending a fortune thanks

Thats a nice chunk of savings you have stashed away Hexen. What kind of swap are you planning on? Wish I could stash away that much a month. But the problem is, after I pay the bills and pay insurance and buying necessities i'm left with enough money to either buy dinner @ Tony Roma's or buy a Daewoo! I have a really hard time saving money...care to throw some my way? :D So I know what BLM means when he wants to work on things one by one. Cuz done right D's can still put down 160 to the wheels without turbo and without a lot of effort. So maybe the D is a little under rated? Once again this is all just my $.02 :spin:

exactly 4doors4life...after all those are paid and the wife and kids r fed i have veryyyyyyy limited funds to try to save.....if i do a swap into the civic will it be able to pass inspection though???or how does that work when u d engine swaps????do they give you a hard time for doing swaps...i live in nj so i dont know??

Back