Engine problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've got a very odd problem (93 Del Sol Si). After filling up my car literally died. It took about 2 minutes to get it running, and even after that if you gave it any gas it would sputter real loud, almost back fire, and die again. I put some dry gas in, and the next morning it was working well enough to at least start and drive. The sputtering part still hasn't gone away though. Very randomly the engine will blip like it's cutting off fuel. The odd part is that this only happens after the engine has reached normal operating temperatures (about 10-15 minutes after I start driving). I've tried replacing the spark plugs, distributor cap, putting in fuel injector cleaning, and resetting my ECU, but nothing has helped. Any ideas?

gas is less dense than water so i guess it would depend how the fuel pump picks up gas. did this just recently start after a fill up or has this been going on a while?

It started about 10 minutes after I filled up. Does adding dry gas absorb any water that could be in the tank?

ive never heard of dry gas. but if its an additive that removes water id give it a shot. and id talk some shit to the people you bought the gas from.

this might sound like a longshot, but check your rotor. it could be a worn or loose rotor. also, it could be that your igniter is dying. in fact, that sounds ALOT like what happened to me before my igniter went. i'd almost be willing to bet that is it. my engine would die at random times, and at first, it would start right up, but evenetually it took awhile to start and would sputter/backfire when trying to start. also, it would seem to cut off the fuel for like a split second while i was driving.

Another thing that may be going on is the fuel pump could be takin a shit on ya... not real sure how you could check that other then replacing it... but who knows I am far from a mechanic

has the fuel filter been replaced ? check the idle air control unit (location inlet manifold) by diconnect the wire from unit and noted any changes in idle if not need to be recalabrate or faulty IAC unit

i am willing to bet it's either your fpr, injectors, or fuel pump and not the gas you put in.

if it's blipping than it means the gas is getting cut off. check your fuel pickup in your gas tank. check all the fuel lines from the back to the front, make sure there is no damage to it. check the fuel filter and fpr. disconnect the vacuum line for the fpr and see what happens, the car should either turn off or almost turn off.

I'd still talk shit with the gas station, that way you're still sending it to the shop, and if the shop can't find anything wrong, gas station pays the bill!

Back