Engine Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I spent alot of money to get my car to pass emisions and now I moved where they no longer require smog passing, but I just threw a code and I haven't found out what it is but I'm thinking its my timing and that it threw a knock sensor code. Anways, my car runs like shit. When I accelerate, it kinda hesitates when I first start and sometimes going into second, when i have shifted to second and floor it, it takes about 3-5 seconds before it will start accelerating, its like it just sits at a low rpm for a few seconds and then decides to go. What could this be ? I do have an erradic idle as well.

sounds like your timing belt skipped a tooth. Check the cam timing, and check the belt tensioner to see if it is tight enough. The knock sensor might have just gone out. Test it and replace it if you need to.

How do I check the cam timing. I think the one tooth off deal could be the problem. But i have a skunk2 cam gear and I'm not sure how to set back to factory ?

Well, by the sounds of it, you have an sohc, with only a single cam gear. You are going to have to pull the valve cover and timing belt covers. I am not sure about the sohc's since I really only work on my dohc's, but there is a lower and upper timing belt cover. After you have done this, loosen up the timing belt tensioner pulley bolt, loosen up the timing belt enough to slip it off of the gear, and tighten the tensionioner back up so you aren't fighting the spring when you try to reinstall the belt. With the timing belt off, check to make sure the crank is somewhere in the middle of its stroke, so no pistons are going to get tapped by any valves or vice versa. Just make sure it is somewhere in between top and bottom dead center. Now loosen the adjusting bolts on the cam gear, and set the cam to 0 degrees, which is the stock position, then tighten the bolts back up so it wont slip. Set the cam to 1st cylinder TDC, you should see the #1 valves fully closed, i.e. the cam lobes are not pushing on the rocker arms. After that is set, set the crank at TDC. There is a mark on the crank pulley that lines up with a mark on either the block or the timing belt cover. If it is not on the block, then temporarily put the lower cover back on and set the crank TDC. Then you slip the timing belt back on, making sure that you don't rotate the crank or the cam in the process. loosen up the tensioner pulley bolt again and let it take up the slack in the belt, then tighten the bolt back up. Reinstall the covers, and turn on the motor and let in run for like 30 seconds, and turn it off. Recheck the timing belt tension, and loosen the tensioner bolt and let the tensioner take up any remaining slack if there is any. Tighten it up, check to make sure the covers are on tight, and you should be good to go. If you want to set the cam timing different than stock, do that instead of setting it to zero in the steps above. Hope this helps.

^^^ That's a good thing to check for after you find out what code you threw. Don't do anything to the car until before doing that.

Back