Engine Rebuild for FI

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bigbeasta4

i currently own a 5th gen prelude w/ 120k miles on the engine. i want to turbo this vechile, although people say my engine is too worn out. Well if i get the engine rebuilt including the tranny, will it be good enough to turbo? when i rebuild the engine, is it like the milage on the engine goes back to 0 miles? thanks

:unsure:

Ummm... Well, a rebuild will typicaly consist of new pistons, rods, valves, springs, retainers, gaskets and a few other things I forgot. Rebuilding your motor to stock specs will alow you to boost 6-8 psi pretty safely. Of course, more than likely you could boost 6-8 psi right now and be fine. In order to run more boost you would want lower compression pistons, stronger rods, preferably forged pistons and rods, as well as sleeving. In fact, I have heard you can't run forged pistons in an H22 without sleeving it. I would just get a turbo kit, run low boost, and save up for your internals.

i always hear of people taking thier engines completely apart and putting it back together...its supposed to make the engine more reliable i guess? Am i missing something? Thanks

Originally posted by bigbeasta4@Nov 3 2004, 05:59 PM
i always hear of people taking thier engines completely apart and putting it back together...its supposed to make the engine more reliable i guess? Am i missing something? Thanks
[post=411525]Quoted post[/post]​

people rebuild their engines for many reasons sometimes to fix problems or torefresh it to last another 200000miles or such. but most of the time the people here do it to modify it to add high performance parts or so the engine will last against the extreames of nitrous and turbos.

How much horsepower do you want to get out of this thing? That will be the determining factor of what you should do.

If you want to get a basic Greddy kit and run 7-8 psi or something like that, then i would recommend you get a compression test, or a leakdown test to see what condition your motor is in before you start digging in your motor.

Also, proper supply of fuel and a good tune will help your motor last more then anything else.

Back