Engine rebuild for turbo II

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spydy43

I am debating what kind of head work to have done to my d16y8 engine rebuild at this point. I will be running a max-rev turbo kit on about 10psi trying to get 225-250 whp on a dependable setup right now I am going to have to wait on getting a really good fuel management system such as a hondata or aem, so I will be running a Vortech 12:1 FMU. With this setup how should I have the Head built up?
Right now I have been considering doing a stock rebuild to save $$ right now. Will that be sufficient and reliable? Or should I go with a stage 2 port of the head and intake manifold as well as a performance valve job? If so what valves, or valve kits do you recommend? If anyone else has any other suggestions let me know I am open to different ideas.

So does nobody recommend getting the head work done? Would it or would it not be better to do all this work while the engine is out and in pieces? Will a stock rebuilt head be sufficient and reliable over time for the HP #’s I am looking for? I plan on getting a good hondata , or aem setup but do not think I can afford it right now, does anyone know how much does one of these setups run?

The head work is good, and you can see good gains with it, but it will be useless with out the proper fuel managment.

waste of money for that power level. you need engine management. you don't need to do headwork until your head is the limiting factor in your setup.

Back