Engine Rebuild problems HELP PLEASE!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

goldenteg

Hi, Im a noob and I recently rebuilt my b17 motor. All I did was just replace the piston rings, bearings and a couple of gaskets. It wasn't much I just wanted to clean the engine of all carbon deposits and learn more about my integra. However Now I finished putting back the entire engine and its giving me some problems. Whenever I try to start the car the engine takes a while to start up and when it does it idles so crazy. The motor begins to vibrate and it its obvious that theres a problem. The engine sounds like its about to turn off every other second. The idle speed stays constant sometimes at 800 and other times almost at zero. But if I move the distributor sometimes it does not turn on at all. I also noticed that there seems to be a little faint ringing noise. I also noticed sometimes when the engine is turned off the cam gears slow down and and then spin the other way about 180 degrees. I can see the cams because the previous owner has the cut off the valve cover for the adjustable cam gears. I think the problem is that the engine seems to be knocking. what really worried me was how the cams stopped and then spun the opposite way. If any one can help I would really appreciate it.

Oh yeah before I decided to rebuild the motor the car would sometimes fail to start and whenever I would let go of the gas the idle would go to practically zero and once the car turned off when I stopped at a red light. I had to open the throttle more to keep it from turning off.

Well when I installed the timing belt both cams where pointing up and each mark was exact even the one for the crank. Everythin seems to be exact I dont understand.

I know but since everything is lined up correctly. each cam shaft is lined up with each other and the crank pulley shouldn't it all be set up right? I lined up every sprocket with their mark and the distributor can only fit one way. I don't understand how it can be way off. I tried adjusting the distributor but it still does not make a difference. only when I adjust it to all the way retarded does it turn on.

You cant just go by how things line up...if it was that easy a timing light wouldnt have even been invented. Just check it so you know for sure.

you could be one tooth off and have major issues , with everything looking to be lined up . also you said the car barley ran prior to the rebuild . meaning you had more than just ring and bearing issues , tps out of adjustment , bad map sensor , clogged injectors . wirring issues from old wires and connectors . so as said above 1st verify the timmeing is correct ,

also if you dont loosen the tensioner so it can take up that slack, then tighten it with tension on the drive side of the belt (meaning put a 19mm socket and ratchet on the crank pulley and turn it counterclockwise slowly, meanwhile tighten the tensioner bolt) it can EASILY jump teeth every time you crank the thing. which would explain the "ringing" sound the pistons are making when they hit his valves.

Well Ive had the car for about a year now and the last for the last 4 months the car has had a noticable lost in power. at times it would seem a little under powered especially when the engine would warm up. And when I would turn on the AC the power loss was really noticable. The car would seem as if Im starting off in 2nd gear. Then the last two days before I decided to take it apart the car would not want to turn on most of the time. Also whenever I would let go of the throttle the rpm would go to practically 0 and twice it turned off on me on the road. I didn't find out what caused the problem I just took the engine apart and replaced the piston rings, bearings, head gaskets and sent the head to the machine shop for cleaning.

The only problem I did have while putting the enine back together was when I was installing the camshafts. The intake cam was a bit off counterclockwise and whenever I tried to line it up with the other camshaft it would just return. But when I installed the timing belt the tension kept the two shafts lined up and the crank sprocket was lined up to the mark on the oil pump so that would mean that the 1st piston was at TDC. I dont know how to adjust the timing other that moving the distributor. Does any one know what I can do to fix it or what might be wrong?

Oh yeah also now theres a check engine warning on the dashboard. I jumped the OBD wires and I get 2 flashes. I have the haynes repair manual for 90-93 integra but it does not say anything about error code 2.

I really need some help. I don't know how I can check the timing if I cant even keep the car from vibrating so much.

well like I keep saying everything seems to be lined up. I was reading the haynes repair manual and would the valve clearances have anything to do with it. I took the head to the machine shop without the camshafts. would the valve clearances be causing the problems and thats why the camshafts were a bit off when I installed them?

Get a light. Check your timing. If that does not fix your problem then come ask some more questions. No one can see your engine so you will have to trial and error to find out exactly what is wrong.

Back