Engine rebuild?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

charliemopps24

Can i buy an engine rebuild master kit for a d16a1 (88-89 integra) and install it all in my z6? Would be kinda convenient cause i wanna get some pm6 pistons to up the compression, but my z6 has got 245,000 miles and should probably be rebuilt soon. I'll probably get a greddy 2 mm headgasket to bring the compression back down into a manegable range.

I wouldn't mix parts from those engines with each other, personally. Not that you can't, it's more of a matter of my opinion.

IMO, you should buy after-market short block internals for a D16Z6 that yield the same compression and displacement etc... that you want. A lot of OE crossed engines have problems due to lack of research.

There are calculations for what you are looking to do. Find out what you want from the engine, buy new, after-market parts that are for your engine and fit the numbers you came up with, have professionally balanced\assembled\tuned and be done with it. It'll cost you less in the long wrong to do it right the first time.

True, I'm not debating that the mixed parts work whatsoever. It's just that by the sounds of it (so far) he might be better off with fresh parts, built for his application, spec'd out, and done by a shop.

The A1 pistons would certainly be cheaper, but OE parts reach their limits sooner than aftermarket. To assemble an engine with the plan of taking it back apart to replace stuff down the road is beyond me (BESIDES preventative maintenance, lol)

How bout suzuki vitara pistons? It's going the othe way, aka for boost but i'm still considering that option too. Suposedly, they lowers the compression to 8.7:1 and they're made of better aluminum and are cheap as hell. All you gotta do is use oem honda d-series rings. Suposedly makes it so you can get 250-260ish horsepower at about 12-15psi with just them as a bottom end mod. A stock bottom end is only good to about 210 @ 9-10psi right.

Last edited:
Back