Engine Replacement 91 accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eric123

So I need to replace the engine in my 91 accord 5 speed. I'm just a little confused after trying to do some research.

Easiest is obviously another f22a. I can get the F22B SOHC non-vtec for about $200 cheaper. I can also get the F22B DOHC Non-vtec cheaper then the f22a. I might consider a little more money and put in the F22B1 Vtec, but how difficult is it? I'm not overally concerned about power, just want my car.

My question is this, what would I need for each one(ie. ecu? wiring? what car would I order the parts under?). I've come up with this so far

F22A
Car: 90-93 Accord
Needed: Nothing

F22B1
Car: 94-97 Accord EX
Needed: ECU, VTEC Solenoid, wiring etc.

F22B DOHC Non-Vtec
Car: Japanese Prelude?
Needed: ecu???

F22B SOHC Non-Vtec
Car: 94-97 accord lx? dx?????
Needed: ECU???

F23A Vtec
Car: ???
Needed: ???

F20A SOHC
Car: 90-93 Accord in Japan?
Needed: Nothing?

If the F22B SOHC Non-VTEC is an easy swap I will just do it, as it is my cheapest one. I'm just not sure what is involved in each one. How hard is it to hook everything up for the F22B2.

Last edited:
best motor to put in your accord would be a H22... they bolt right in.. use your axles and wiring harness get a p13 ecu and run like five wires to the ecu for your vtec knock sensor iab's sensor and possible a map sensor if you get certian model H22's. little more costly but well worth it.

are you swapping the motor yourself?

Ok I've read somewhere about an auto tensioner fix for the H22? Is it a good idea to do? Also will I need a prelude map sensor and evap canister? If I do this swap however I think I will retain the f22 tranny. And yes I'll be doing it myself

yea i did the auto tensinor fix on mine,,,,
you more or less buy the h23 no vtec tensinor onto the h22 and tighten ti manually
but its a bigger tensinor so once you get the belt on you will already have the tensinor at its looses postion. "very aggervating if your by yourself trying to keep it in time while you pull the T belt over the cam gear."

but once its one... its nice.

best way to do the swap.
f22 parts list.
axles
tranny "not as quick off the line but alot better on Highway miles..80 at 3000rmp vs 4000 with H22"
also need to be manual tranny to help from falling out of vtec
mounts
front waterneck for extra coolent sensor
Cat back exsaust
Ac braket and compressor "if keeping ac"
Alternator and braket is same one h22 and f22
except pulley if bigger on one, and the prelude has an extra rib for the belt.
PS braket, pump and custom highpressure line. or you can just use the H22 PS pump braket and highpressure line with no cutting.. f22 PS setup may cause hood clearence issuses.
wiring harness from the f22 and then add the 5 wires you need straight to the p13 ecu, you also have to extend a couple of wires to make them reach there new locations.
oil sendding unit
Dizzy
maybe 02 depending on year and model of accord

H22 parts.
Motor
Ecu "p13"
Header and downpipe from a 93-95 H22
Driverside Heatercore hose
Radiator Hoses
If you get a obd2 Motor... h22a4
you will need Obd1 Fuel rail and injectors
H23a1 Dizzy of you have extrenal coil on your car now, if not you will have to convert to obd1 internal coil h22 dizzy
For the map sensor if obd2 you splice three wires into your black vacume box on the firewall
obd1 h22's usally dont have a map on the TB and then you just retain the f22's map witch is on the blck box... run the vacume line for the map
onto the intake before the TB

Last edited:
the f22 rad dose fit and so dose the upper hose but the bottom hose needs to be a little longer..."or so aleast it did in my swap" so you can probally get away with it... i just got a prelude bottom hose and cut a little off the end cause its was real long

for this swap...if you replace
sparkplugs and wires
all seals "highly reccomended doing while motor is out of the car"
cam seals balance seal and retainer, crank seal, rear main, valve cover, oilpan, intake gasket, cam seal behind Vtec unit
timing belt
waterpump
do some soild mounts with polyurathane
timing tenseror conversion
clutch, flywheel, pressure plate

say you buy the motor forr 1000$
your proballys going to have about 2200$ tied up in it when your finished

Last edited:
I would love to do the H22, but I just don't have the money. The motor is more expensive, and there is more work needed then just putting in the F22A again. What about the F22B1 or F22B2, how much more work is there then just doing the F22A swap?

Are you not considering the fact that some of the motors listed use OBD2 while your Accord is running on either OBD0 or OBD1? You can't just drop the motor in, plug in the correct ECU and go...it's not quite that easy...

Thats why I asked what motors some of those cars were from.

The F22B1 and F22B2 will fit as long as I get one thats OBD1. The F22A will fit, no idea about the rest, I;m assuming the F20A would work but its not worth it.

Any F or H-series motor will easily bolt into your car. Your concern should be finding one that's OBD1 so it will plug right in also. If you get a VTEC engine, then you'll need to add wiring for the VTEC work.

Why do you say an F20 is not worth it? What F20 are you talking about, there's lots of them. The only one that won't bolt into your car is the F20/22C. That's the S2000 motor...

I always thought the F20A was used in japan only... so I just assumed it would be harder, since parts might be harder to get. I just figured since it produces almost the same HP as the F22A there wasn't a point.

I always thought the F20A was used in japan only... so I just assumed it would be harder, since parts might be harder to get. I just figured since it produces almost the same HP as the F22A there wasn't a point.

Yeah, you're right. I was just asking...

So aside from wiring in the VTEC, it would all be the same as doing the F22A. Thanks for your help.

Back