engine reving issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

iceberg65

i think this is the right place to post this as i think it may be some sort of wiring issue.

a friend of mine has an 88 civic hatch with a B16a motor swapped in.
the motor and harness is out of a j-spec 1990 integra and the coil and plug wires are all in good shape

the issue is that when vtec is supposed to kick in around 5000-5500 rpm sometimes the engine kicks hard and the tack goes nuts then there is power loss. the engine never really dies, it just seems like it wants too.

this doesnt happen all the time only sometimes randomly. sometimes it runs niceley. nowhere in town seems to be an expert on these motors and was wondering what you all think.

sorry if there is a thread on this somewhere i am new to the forums and unfimiliar with it.

i dont really know how else to describe the problem, theres definatly a problem at higher revs tho, i just find it odd that sometimes it revs nicely. and the oil level is good.

461797_43_full.jpg

heres a pic of the engine. bump

anybody have suggestions, i need a place to start looking?
could it be the ecu

As far as the power loss, it may just be breaking up. Timing could be off, plugs could be fouled and wires may be "arching". Change the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor and make sure your timing is right. As far as your wild tach signal, its most likely your distributor going bonkers, which will also cause your driveability issues now that I think about it.

thx alot, i will look into the distributor, probably plug wires too, the plugs themselves are in great shape only got about 400km on em. and i will look at the timing. that could contribute to how it only happens at high revs too.

Back