Engine Shuts Off While Driving...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

!!PLEASE HELP!!

Setup: 90 dx hatch b16a; and it did it in my 90 crx si too.
Problem: while i am driving, under normal conditions, my engine will "hiccup" and shut off for a second. and i mean barely a second. its like turning your key off and and right back on as your driving down the highway. there is nothing that i can do to make it do this. its completely random.

Error Codes I've Got:
I dont get these all at the same time. these are codes that have showed up when it does it's hiccup thing. sometimes it does not give me a code at all. most of the time it is 68 though. only one code at a time. never two or more.
65 - Oxygen Sensor Heater? WTF. i am obd0 and dont have oxygen sensor heaters.
68 - Error - Undefined
73 - Cylinder 3 Misfire
75 - Cylinder 5 misfire (WTF!!!!!!!!!)

I have Replaced:
-Main relay
-ECU (Computer)
-Injector Resistor Box
-Distributor Igniter
-Ignition Switch w/Harness
-Checked ALL grounds and they are fine.

any ideas at all would be great. thanks alot for reading this.

-=Derek

double check your main ground, it sounds exactly like a ground problem. However I don't think ground problems throw a code. check out the rest of your ignition system, as well as any possible clogs in the fuel system

done, done, and done. what should the voltage under the fuse box be?

i need ideas. what else could cause a car to hiccup while driving? my first notion was an ignition problem but i do not understand why the main relay clicks everytime it happens.

Start with plugs and plug wires. Then distributor cap and rotor. If your anything like me you try the cheapest and easiest thing first. It would be a shame if you redid the whole ignition system with out replacing the cap and rotor.

i've done all of the normal tune-up procedures. i am leaning more and more towards the distributor. could a bad CKP (Crankshaft Position Sensor) be bad? COULD these be the symptoms of a failing CKP? and for that matter is it replaceable and wouldnt an ECU throw a code for it? if my memory serves me correctly, it is held in the dist. by tamper proof screws. i have absolutely no problem with spending the money for a new distributor but i just want to be sure that it is the problem. thanks for any other input guys. i really need your help.

Originally posted by DTEC@May 28 2003, 09:39 AM
!!PLEASE HELP!!

Setup: 90 dx hatch b16a; and it did it in my 90 crx si too.
Problem: while i am driving, under normal conditions, my engine will "hiccup" and shut off for a second. and i mean barely a second. its like turning your key off and and right back on as your driving down the highway. there is nothing that i can do to make it do this. its completely random.

Error Codes I've Got:
I dont get these all at the same time. these are codes that have showed up when it does it's hiccup thing. sometimes it does not give me a code at all. most of the time it is 68 though. only one code at a time. never two or more.
65 - Oxygen Sensor Heater? WTF. i am obd0 and dont have oxygen sensor heaters.
68 - Error - Undefined
73 - Cylinder 3 Misfire
75 - Cylinder 5 misfire (WTF!!!!!!!!!)

I have Replaced:
-Main relay
-ECU (Computer)
-Injector Resistor Box
-Distributor Igniter
-Ignition Switch w/Harness
-Checked ALL grounds and they are fine.

any ideas at all would be great. thanks alot for reading this.

-=Derek

there's no way you got a 75.

that is for obd2 v6 accords/oddeseys/cl/tl/etc only C-series shite.

re-check your codes man, cuz if your throwing v6 accord codes, which your ecu had no phathom of ever existing 14 years before the engine was even made.

i swear on my life dude. checked it 500000000539035 times. i just think that the computer doesnt know what to do when this happens and it gets all fucked up and just throws a random code

Recently my '92 honda civil si did that...the car just died...while cruzzzzing...

Have you replaced the ignition coil or catalic converter? I had never replaced it until that happened. It's run fine now. :blink:

Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Is the rotor completely secured? I had a problem with the screw that holds my rotor in place falling out and the car died. I retapped it with a 10-32 screw and drilled a whole all the way through the rotor so the screw goes through the rotor. That bitch ain't goin nowheres now. That is all I can think of. Besides the 02 sensor. :blink:

ignition coil has been replaced and i am not running a cat. could a crankshaft position sensor (CKP) going bad shut a car down like this?

:ph34r: :huh: sounds like a distubutor cap problem, my friends car did wierd shit like that before, it threw all the sensors off, when we were driving his car shut off and all the arning lights came on, so ur disturbutor could be shoriting and throwin all the sensors and mybe the ECU off balance

Another thing I just thought of. Besides checking out the crank position sensor, check the rotor and make sure it isn't on upside down and check your timing. Check vaccuum lines too. :blink:

guys, thanks so much for the great ideas and thoughts. all vacuum lines have been checked. and get this shit... i finally got my hands on an obd0 b16 distributor. so i REALLY thought this was going to be it. so i get home today and get it on and the fucker still does it. so lets do the run down of what i have replaced.

1. Known Good ECU
2. Known Good Distributor (Which Includes: Igniter, Coil, CKP, TDC, CYP)
3. Known Good Main Relay
4. Known Good Ignition Switch
5. Known Good Injector Resistor Box
6. New Dist. Cap

all grounds, wires, plugs, hoses etc... have been checked.

any other suggestions.

what happens when a fuel pump fails? i know that my b16 isnt so powerful that it needs so much fuel to burn a fuel pump out. what do you guys think about that?

no fucking clue dude...
my 2 sense: sell it and start over

It could be the ignition switch (Not the lock itself, but the piece on the back. Here's a link to what I'm about to buy myself. I had this problem before, took it apart, cleaned it, but now it's back and for now my car starts, but it sputters. I'm thinking the ignition switch is the problem. Check yours out. Be careful though, it can come apart into tiny pieces and be hard to put back together.

More Information for BECK/ARNLEY 2011576

Yeah, realized that after posting, haha. Could still help someone in the future.

indeed... and i thank you for posting it... just wanted to give you a heads up :)

Back