Engine sounds weird and Exhaust is Loud!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jimmykaboots

I have a 1993 Del Sol B16 where I recently changed the intake and exhaust manifold. With the exhaust manifold, the pace one I put one didn't have anywhere to put the oxygen sensor so I disconnected the lower oxygen sensor that goes normally between the downpipe and the cat convertor. It sounds very irregular and very obnoxiously loud. Does this sound normal for this kind of engine? Does the o2 sensor have anything to do with it? Is that black smoke coming out oil burning or soot from not running the engine in a few months? Thanks for reading everyone and I appreciate any advice, I'm pretty new to working on cars.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_RGMCjUWi0&feature=youtu.be[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP-7U14lqMc&feature=youtu.be[/VIDEO]

So......I will be an ass and ASSume that the car was running great before you changed the intake pipe and put a header on it. The black smoke is (most likely) because you don't have the O2 sensor hooked up. It adjust air/fuel ratio and you are dumping too much gas into the cylinders.

Also......the MOST Important thing was not stated by you.....Is there ANY engine codes?

The idle sounds like it is missing. Did the spark plug wires get switched?

Do you have some sort of manual for this chassis?

Its an original Del Sol VTEC with a B16A3?

You are correct good sir, when I bought the car it came with a broken oem downpipe where the bottom of the downpipe was pressed in very far because of him bottoming out, thus the exhaust was also very loud so I went to the junkyard and found an acura integra exhaust manifold that fit and bought a pace downpipe and installed that. To my surprise, there was no where to put in an 02 sensor. How can I put an 02 sensor in?

The car also came with an uninstalled skunk2 intake so I took the liberty of installing it, and for regular maintenance I also changed the spark plugs to iridium gapless sparkplugs as recommended by my local Canadian tire.

Unfortunately I don't know how to check for engine codes as it doesn't have a plug in for my scanner. When I start the car there are no indicator lights that come on. I do not have a manual.

The engine is stamped B16, I'm not quite sure if it's the 1,2, or 3 sorry but I was told it is the 1.6 170 HP engine. Thanks for your help, it's very appreciative!

TL:DR How can I put an o2 sensor into a downpipe and exhaust that don't have any holes to put it in?

Also check that your map sensor is hooked up right.. when I installed my B16 i didnt have it hooked up right (vacuum lines) and it was blowing all kinds of black smoke and crap out the exhaust... had to repaint the wall afterwards..lol. Looked really similar to your second video.

Also check that your map sensor is hooked up right.. when I installed my B16 i didnt have it hooked up right (vacuum lines) and it was blowing all kinds of black smoke and crap out the exhaust... had to repaint the wall afterwards..lol. Looked really similar to your second video.
Where is the map sensor located? On the Air Intake?
1. drill a hole.weld a bung in and install your o2

2. I'm pretty sure that your spark plug wires are hooked up wrong
like cafrog said.

3. if you have a o2 after the cat it needs to be in cause that will most
likely mess up your afr dumping a load of uneeded fuel. Well
you should have all o2 hooked up.

That's perfect! I'll follow these instructions, thank you very much for your help and for everyone's advice!

Was there a check engine light on when you bought the car?

I'm guessing you car is a 93-95 because you have no access plug for a OBD2 scanner. If I'm right....it's OBD1 and you have a service plug under the dash near the kick panel. I have a OBD1 Civic Si and I have two plugs there. The smaller one is the one you need to use. Take a paper clip or piece of wire and connect the two pins on that plug together. Just loop it. Then turn key to on position. It will flash like Moriris Code. Long flash is increments of ten's while short flashes are increments of one's. You may have more than one code.

And it reads like a swap......not a stock Del Sol VTEC B16A3 so you may have bad wiring as an issue. You can look on the block near radiator right where it attaches to the transmission. It will tell you the block code there. Big half inch tall font.

MAP is on top of the TB but if it's a JDM TB...MAP is mounted on the firewall and runs off a small vacuum line that hooks up to the TB on top.

TPS is also on the TB but mounted to the back of the TB (in between TB and firewall). See if it is riveted on to the TB or star head or dremel'd flat head groove in the rivets?

Last edited:
Back