1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Sounds

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by guitarjon, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarjon

guitarjon Junior Member

What makes the high-pitched air sound from an engine? I'm talking about when you have somebody with a tuned out engine, and when they shift, it makes a high-pitched air "squeak', I guess you could say. There was a WRX I saw on the road a while ago, and it made that sound. Is it the hydraulic transmission?

2. preludude

preludude Member

You are talking about the blow off valve. Its an upgrade you make with a turbo. It dumps the air out of the turbo every time you shift and creates a high pitched "whoosh" noise. I think it's stock on wrx's and lancers though.

I wish I had a turbo!!

3. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

It's not an "upgrade" for a turbo, it's necessary. When the throttle plate closes during a shift or if you lift off the throttle while driving, the compressed air needs to go somewhere. If you don't have a blowoff valve, the air tries to force its way back into the turbo, which is, umm, a bad thing. On most stock turboed cars (WRX's, older Eclipses, etc), the air gets plumbed back into the intake manifold rather than into the atmosphere. A full or partial atmospheric venting blowoff valve is what makes the squeeking or whoosing noise. Or, if you remove various stock silencing mechanisms on a stock car (like mine), you can still hear a full plumb-back BOV.

4. guitarjon

guitarjon Junior Member

Excellent. Is there any way I could do the same to my 99 Civic EX w/o having to purchase the turbo? What are the silencing mechanisms?

5. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Why would you want to do that? You're not turbo'ed, so there'd be no reason for your car to be making any sort of turbo-related noise.

If you're REALLY into that, however, some companies sell an "N/A blowoff valve" that replicates that squeeking noise when it detects the throttle plate closing. Very expensive for a bogus noise, IMO.

6. HatchSpeeD

HatchSpeeD ...Hi...

:eek: ...Oh God, here we go...dohcvtec_accord...I give you a lot of credit bro.

I give it 5 mins b4 flaming commences.

7. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

the wastegate is a necessity, not a bov(some drag cars dont use bovs). but it is much better to have a bov.

anyway if you just want the sound you might want to take this to another forum.

8. EG6D16Z6_NA

EG6D16Z6_NA Member

i have on a skunk2 IM, and everytime i take off the throttle, it has a swoosh. pretty kewl, but not anything like a BOV.

9. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

Me too, I thought you were going to be sarcastic later in the post and start talking about muffler bearings and blinker fluid. :)

We've all got to start somewhere!

10. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

You can search Ebay for devices that make your car sound like it has a wastegate/turbo.

Pointless thread. Locked.

:locked2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.