Engine Sounds

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarjon

What makes the high-pitched air sound from an engine? I'm talking about when you have somebody with a tuned out engine, and when they shift, it makes a high-pitched air "squeak', I guess you could say. There was a WRX I saw on the road a while ago, and it made that sound. Is it the hydraulic transmission?

You are talking about the blow off valve. Its an upgrade you make with a turbo. It dumps the air out of the turbo every time you shift and creates a high pitched "whoosh" noise. I think it's stock on wrx's and lancers though.

I wish I had a turbo!!

It's not an "upgrade" for a turbo, it's necessary. When the throttle plate closes during a shift or if you lift off the throttle while driving, the compressed air needs to go somewhere. If you don't have a blowoff valve, the air tries to force its way back into the turbo, which is, umm, a bad thing. On most stock turboed cars (WRX's, older Eclipses, etc), the air gets plumbed back into the intake manifold rather than into the atmosphere. A full or partial atmospheric venting blowoff valve is what makes the squeeking or whoosing noise. Or, if you remove various stock silencing mechanisms on a stock car (like mine), you can still hear a full plumb-back BOV.

Excellent. Is there any way I could do the same to my 99 Civic EX w/o having to purchase the turbo? What are the silencing mechanisms?

Why would you want to do that? You're not turbo'ed, so there'd be no reason for your car to be making any sort of turbo-related noise.

If you're REALLY into that, however, some companies sell an "N/A blowoff valve" that replicates that squeeking noise when it detects the throttle plate closing. Very expensive for a bogus noise, IMO.

Originally posted by guitarjon@Jan 9 2004, 01:12 PM
Excellent. Is there any way I could do the same to my 99 Civic EX w/o having to purchase the turbo? What are the silencing mechanisms?

:eek: ...Oh God, here we go...dohcvtec_accord...I give you a lot of credit bro.

I give it 5 mins b4 flaming commences.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jan 9 2004, 12:23 PM
It's not an "upgrade" for a turbo, it's necessary.

the wastegate is a necessity, not a bov(some drag cars dont use bovs). but it is much better to have a bov.

anyway if you just want the sound you might want to take this to another forum.

i have on a skunk2 IM, and everytime i take off the throttle, it has a swoosh. pretty kewl, but not anything like a BOV.

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD@Jan 9 2004, 01:04 PM
...Oh God, here we go...dohcvtec_accord...I give you a lot of credit bro.

Me too, I thought you were going to be sarcastic later in the post and start talking about muffler bearings and blinker fluid. :)

We've all got to start somewhere!

You can search Ebay for devices that make your car sound like it has a wastegate/turbo.

Pointless thread. Locked.

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back