Engine stumbles on take off. Help, please.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

(o)(o)

The car is a totally stock 95 Civic EX coupe. D16 SOHC motor. I just replaced the head gasket, and the car idled fine, no problems. When I first drove it after the hg repair, I noticed a hessitation taking off, below 2K rpm. And if I stabbed the gas, it would shake or stumble for the first few seconds, worse if the AC is on. Drove fine once at speed. I decided the timing belt was off a tooth or so, so I rechecked that. No luck, car still stumbles when taking off, unless I feather the gas pedal. Any clues? How do I check for codes?. Could it be a problem with the Vtec sensor? Please be specific with your answers, I'm very new to Hondas. And thank you for your support!

highly doubt its anything to do with VTEC. concidering how VTEC doesnt kick in till 4700... and even if u rev it that high VTEC still doesnt kick in till ur moving... do you have a CEL? if you dont have a CEL it would be kinda pointless tryin to find a code for this prob.. but if u do have a CEL.. in the passenger side foot area, on the side with the door, look up under the dash against the wall, there will be a 2prong female connector just sittin there by itself... get a wire and jump the leads, then ur CEL will flash the code if u have one.. did you connect everything corectly after doing the HG? if u disconnected ne thing?? id first doubble check all that, everything that u touched.. did you torque ur head bolts to the correct TQ? thats real inportant. other than that it sounds to me like a fuel prob... did u play with ne thing that is on the fuel circit?? lines wires.. good luck man
Tyler

did you check the timing? also, check out your rotor in the distributor, sometimes that gets loose and can move around in there.

Thanks all VERY much for the info. What's a CEL? A better description of the problem is that when you hit the gas to take off, it acts as if it's running on three cylinders. If you lift, it recovers, but then you're not moving. So it's tough to get going. I did check and rechecked the timing. I think it's at 14 or 15, using the red mark on the cranck pulley. I have double checked everything I removed for the HG repair, and can't see anything wrong. It runs good once you're up to speed. As for the distribuitor, how do I check if there's anything loose inside the rotor? Do I just remove the dist. and shake it, or do I open it up? Do these cars advance timing when you first get going? Thanks all for your help!

(o)(o)

hahahah sry.. no u dont take it off and shake it. there are 3 bolts on the distributor cap, take those out, and it will come off, the rotor shuld be held in by 1 philips screw, just take the cap off and look at it and maby see if the rotor is loose... thats al u g2 do.. a CEL is a Check Engine Light.

if you had to replace the hg then i hope you replaced the plugs as well. check for small vaccuum leaks and try to do a power balnce test.

Hondas: I'm just posting for future reference. I found the reason for my 96 EX Civic's hessitation and loss of power: Bad ignition wire. Bought a new set from Honda, and the problem went away immediately. Car runs like a top, it's my trusty daily driver. Thanks to all who helped out.

Back