Engine swap for my 7th gen Civic EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The guy obviously lacks the resources and knowledge to complete such a technical swap either way. And honestly man, if your new to swapping, building and other honda bread and butter sorta stuff, i suggest you put off doing much of anything to your car untill you learn about it first. Doing homework never hurts anyone and knowing more about your car and what your potential plans are, woiuld serve you well.
A turbo EM2 is gonna be a handful, even with tuning, turbo cars demand attention.
You will make sacrifices with a swap or turboing.. do your homework and be prepared, jumping into things like this kills your wallet and your love of the cars in the end.

no, d17 is a whole different animal.
Honda was stupid to reinvent the wheel when they made the d17.
im sure you could get it to work if you just swapped out manifolds.

its easy. If you have 6-10 grand to invest go kswap. If you wanna spend a few grand and have a sohc that can walk on alot of dohc cars, go turbo.

Why not build a K series Frank Swap for WAY LESS than 8-9k... trust me. Im building one at the moment and im only 3g into it.
by the time its all done you will see,you got a long way to go

ALright at most ill be into it is $5500 i think. Thats Tuned and running. and haviing hopefully if all goes well 250whp+ Will be tons of fun.

sounds extremely ambitious , but very short sighted, its always easy to say, oh yeah ill just swap this in.. its different than that in person. Swaps dont give a shit what your budget is, they will find a way to bleed you dry. Wish you the best of luck tho, please document everything so when you only spend that 5500 you can show us how. Also so we can send that record to guiness

Well I have a lot of hookups for Acura OEM parts because a good friend of mine, well he owns the Acura lot here. So i get a nice discount ;)

New

Hey im new here and this is my first post, (SO if i say somthing wrong let me know lol) I had a friend who had a d16z6, and he put around 4 grand into his car and he was running a 12 second car. He put allot of time in doing it himself and had a chip program that he could tune himself, later on he went with hondata. I think you should build up the motor, turbo it, and tune it. Thatd be cheap and youll produce plenty of power.

ok first of all, the d17 can support over 250whp with out a piston, rod and crank shaft job. i got an Civic ex 2001 with a setup that devlop 265 whp and 217 lbs with out turbo kit. first if you want a good setup on those engine change the head if you got a d17a2, the a1 head is non-vtec and is better for hi-compression setup. Up next you will need to regrind your cam shaft, change your valves, springs and retainer, port and polish head, cam gear, fuel rails, injector, customizable ECU, race header and exaust, uperdrive pulley and overdrive pulley + flywheel.

its gonna cost you less than a k20a swap, its gonna give you better boost anyway, and over all the d17 is lighter then the k serie so for slalom, track, drag or just street use , with a good suspension setup, your car will be over a lot of car, trust me. tested and approved.

and if you want the same power as a k20 just buy a turbo kit on ebay for 800$ with all the hardware instalion kit. gonna give you between 205 and 217 whp depend of your boost setup. for a lot cheaper then the k20 swap.

and if you want the same power as a k20 just buy a turbo kit on ebay for 800$ with all the hardware instalion kit. gonna give you between 205 and 217 whp depend of your boost setup. for a lot cheaper then the k20 swap.

watch out for those OBX turbo manifolds that crack under extreme heat. and the Small turbo's they include in the kit... Stay sway from T25 Manifolds.

lmfao

First of all go with the k20a2 or k24 thats gonna be way more power and fun than a h22 dont get me wrong h22 is fucking serius but k-series is the new and improved smart vtec. You can even take a k24 block and put k20a2 head on it heard that makes good power. But go k-series nothing less.

ok first of all, the d17 can support over 250whp with out a piston, rod and crank shaft job. i got an Civic ex 2001 with a setup that devlop 265 whp and 217 lbs with out turbo kit. first if you want a good setup on those engine change the head if you got a d17a2, the a1 head is non-vtec and is better for hi-compression setup. Up next you will need to regrind your cam shaft, change your valves, springs and retainer, port and polish head, cam gear, fuel rails, injector, customizable ECU, race header and exaust, uperdrive pulley and overdrive pulley + flywheel.

its gonna cost you less than a k20a swap, its gonna give you better boost anyway, and over all the d17 is lighter then the k serie so for slalom, track, drag or just street use , with a good suspension setup, your car will be over a lot of car, trust me. tested and approved.

so are you saying you got that kind of power with out a turbo or spray ??

your right with the cheap obx turbo kit, but you can find some khs or garett kit sometime, just wait, arround 800 and 1200$ (the cheapess i ever saw is 800$).

For the k24 with a k20a head, a good friend of mind try this setup on is rsx type-S 2003 and you know what, its carp, the problem with the k24, its a long block so the engine is not able to support enought RPM and the k20a2 head is an high rev head so the result : not good. If you go in a K serie GO with the k20a1 the compression is lower then the k20a so you can setup a good turbo kit on your engine.

For the d17, the piston are able to support arround 450hp, the crank 650hp and the connecting rod arround 220 hp with out modification (but this what the honda chart said.... my setup is over 220 hp and my rod are stock).
the d17a1 have a non-vtec head and the engine compression is 9.5:1
the d17a2 have a vtec head and the engine compression is 9.9:1
but this block can support 12.5:1 compression with a non-vtec....the d17a7
best setup d17a1 block with a d17a2 head if you want a turbo
best setup d17a2 block with a d17a1 head if you want a natural aspired setup.

By the way EAM and DC Sports have boost a em2 2004 with a d17 over 560whp....the only problem with the SOHC head is the spark plugs, the way they are setup in the head make it imposible to have the VTEC on the exauhst valve, thats the only difference with the DOHC VTEC. SO you loose some power in high rev, but with a good port and polish on the exaust..... you will feel the difference.

and i forgot to say about my engine set up a KMS block guard and a KMS oversize Throttle body + the AEM V2 + the KMS TB spacer, and the red line 8000, stock is 6800.

Last edited:
Back