engine swap - help!~!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys I picked up a zc for a decent price and i'm soon (once i find the time) going to replace my dual carby engine..

i have everything i need and I was wondering, what sort of problems or tricky situations did u guys run into when doing a swap...

also, while the engine is out i plan to do this (quoted from a website)

While the engine is out do all the necessary things to it that otherwise would be a pain in the ass. I highly recommend replacing the timing belt, alternator belt, oil filter, fuel filter, fuel injectors, clutch (might not do this), radiator hoses, water pump, spark plugs, and if money permits, anything else you can think of that could possible break at a later time. All of these can be done while the engine is in the car, but while everything is apart it is a good idea to do it all at that time.

Does anyone agree with this comment, however:

Almost every engine that comes over from Japan has a broken TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). You can either use the old Si TPS, or you can replace throttle bodies entirely, they are identical.

Is there anything else I can/should do to the engine while it's out. I was thinking to change the head gasket, how would i know if this is possible, would a pressure test be the only way?

Thanks in advance guys.

Quoted post[/post]]
Hey guys I picked up a zc for a decent price and i'm soon (once i find the time) going to replace my dual carby engine..

i have everything i need and I was wondering, what sort of problems or tricky situations did u guys run into when doing a swap...

also, while the engine is out i plan to do this (quoted from a website)

While the engine is out do all the necessary things to it that otherwise would be a pain in the ass. I highly recommend replacing the timing belt, alternator belt, oil filter, fuel filter, fuel injectors, clutch (might not do this), radiator hoses, water pump, spark plugs, and if money permits, anything else you can think of that could possible break at a later time. All of these can be done while the engine is in the car, but while everything is apart it is a good idea to do it all at that time.

Does anyone agree with this comment, however:

Almost every engine that comes over from Japan has a broken TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). You can either use the old Si TPS, or you can replace throttle bodies entirely, they are identical.

Is there anything else I can/should do to the engine while it's out. I was thinking to change the head gasket, how would i know if this is possible, would a pressure test be the only way?

Thanks in advance guys.
Doooooooo change the Timing belt and water pump.
I doubt you will need to change the fuel injectors WTF?
Do the clutch if you want, at minimum inspect all the clutch parts to make sure they are at least usable.
Dropping a motor in with a bad clutch would be a suck ass day for you.
I wish alot i had changed the clutch and my timing belt/water pump while the motor was out.
I "ran out of time" (got excited), and needed to get it in before monday so i didn't get to do that stuff.
Inspect the drive belts, look for wear, and rips, fading etc.
I hope if you are buying a good motor, you wouldn't change the head gasket for no reason?
To me a HG is not preventative maintenance...
My [usdm] engine came from a friend with a broken TPS, but if you have the motor, go look at it and see.
Good luck with the swap.
:)

thanks for the tips.

how would i know if replacing the head gasket was necessary?

i'm not sure where the TPS is, or what it looks like, probably because i dont even know what it does...

how do i know if it needs replacing..? are they expensive?

Quoted post[/post]]
thanks for the tips.

how would i know if replacing the head gasket was necessary?

i'm not sure where the TPS is, or what it looks like, probably because i dont even know what it does...

how do i know if it needs replacing..? are they expensive?
The TPS is the throttle positioning sensor, it is located on the intake manifold, acutally on the throttle body itself, small black piece.
You know if it needs replacing becuz it will be smashed off and/or where the plug goes in will be broken off.
Your headgasket only needs replacing if you are leaking coolant into your oil, oil into your coolant, or either out of where the block and head meet.
It's not likely you will need a new headgasket, unless there's more to the story?
Oil seepage between the head and the block is somewhat 'normal' and 'expected', but not oil squirting etc.
Your car will also _most_likely_ run like piss if your headgasket is blown, unless you're expecting the motor to have a bad HG, i wouldn't be too worried.
I'm an optimist though. :)
The TPS is expensive if you buy it new at the dealer, but there are tons of them out there being sold for $15 shipped on ebay/locally/forums etc.
Here's a bad picture off from ebay:
c7_1.JPG

(This one is actually $35+$8 for shipping "buy it now")
There are some on ebay right now for like $15 tho.

Back