Engine Swap N00b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xoxconfusiousxox

I am trying to find out what engine to buy for my 95 DX Hatchy...I found a B16A1..here are the specs

Specifications:
DOHC VTEC 4 Cyl. 16 Val.
• Cable Transmission
• Redline: 8200 rpm
• Diplacement: 1595cc
• Torque: 111 lb-ft@7000
• Horse Power: 160hp@7600
• Compression Ratio: 10.2:1
• Equipped w/ PWO or PR3 ECU

i was wondering if this is all that i am going to need to drop into my hatch...please let me know being this is the first major mechanical thing being done to the car....

B16a2 would be a better choice, a bolt in affair. Since it is also OBDI, the B16a1 is OBD0 and would be somewhat a bitch to wire up.

the B16A1 has a cable tranny
your car has a hydro tranny .... it wont work

get an OBD-1 B16A SiR 2... that will be your easiest choice

yeah dude, it's a bolt in and plug in affair with the exception of wiring vtec- it's really the easiest way to go- well and the fact that the wiring harness will be too short if it comes with the motor- just get a USDM one

so the wiring harness that will come with the jdm motor is to short for the vtec hook up....

so i should go jdm motor with usdm wiring harness?

well yeah, i mean JDM cars are right hand drive- so obviously certain things are going to different as far as lengths go- because the ECU is on the opposite side of the car, but the motor is still orientated the same way- the decision is up to you, depends on what time you wanna spend and how comfortable you are

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 29 2004, 05:03 PM

get an OBD-1 B16A SiR 2... that will be your easiest choice

:werd:

Get the sir-II use your factory harness or buy a ex harness. you will have to extend a few vtec wires and add a knock sensor Stick with obd-1, and also it has a hydro tranny.

You have 2 grand to buy the motor and install? Or are you going to install it yourself. To buy a B16a2 your looking at 2,250 for just the swap.

Then look for an LS motor, usually you can fin them cheaper and they are a little easier to install, as you don't have to mess with the extra wiring. But you als need to include shipping into your final cost, and anything small that may need replaced like sensors, or a clutch, some hose, and so forth. Basically make sure you have about $700-$1000 over that cost of the motor. And I'd advise installing it yourself, as it really isn't that hard, as long as you plan, and research all the little things, as those are what kills most people.

Back