Engine Swap Precations?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chameleon

Engine Swap Precautions?

Hi all,
I am going to be doing a JDM engine swap soon on my civic, and I am trying to find information as to whether any other people with swaps have had their JDM engines checked out prior to installation?

I'm guessing a leak down test is a must/most common thing to do, but has anyone gone further than that? A leak down test only determines where things are leaking/worn out, but it can't check if the internal engine components (ie: bearings) are worn out. I am told a Leak Down Test is better than a Compression Test.

I'm gonna get it done through a shop (as I don't have the time/skills to swap it myself...).
I'm not aware of any shops willing to provide a written warranty. I believe most just guarantee start-up and a test drive...

I guess the same questions apply for the tranny too. Does everybody just do a leak down test and pray to god nothing is wrong?
Does anyone have any experiences they can share on this topic?

Just to be clear, I don't expect any garage to be able to provide any warranties beyond the usual "start up" guarantee.
From a shop's perspective, I guess it makes sense in that after they install the engine for you (for all they know) you could go drag racing with it till it blows up, then come back and ask for a replacement. Obviously this doesn't make sense from a business perspective...so I don't expect much in that sense.

My car: 99 EK
Engine planned: B18C (JDM ITR with LSD)

Last edited:
Back