Engine swap/replacement '89 Accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

James The E.

First off, I'm completely new to all of this, so please give me a break if I ask a question or make an assumption that sounds completely ridiculous...

but, I've got the chance to purchase an '89 Accord for a very low price, which I'm sure is because the car probably has about 200,000+ miles on it, anyhow, I feel it would be worth the purchase, if I can spend the money I'd be saving on an engine to swap into the car to attempt to negate the miles put on. i've been to jazzproparts.com to look for engines but i don't know what will swap into a 3rd gen. accord.

Any information, advice or anything at all (aside from critizism) would be much appreciated. And if there is already a thread about this, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Also, for now i want to consider this only a replacement for the miles, but it would be great if the engine were also performance parts ready, or able to upgrade performance wise, as, finances willing, I'd love to attempt to tune the car

B20A will swap directly, plug and play. Other B series engines (18 and 16) require special mounts. Now these mounts can be found, but they are rare and will cost you a bit.

A series performance parts can also be found, some rather easily, others... good luck.

"It's now possible to swap a newer "B" series engine in the 86-89 Accord using special engine mounts.

The B20A/B21A series from the 88-91 Prelude aren't build on the same platform and thus will NOT work."

That's from a "sticky" thread for a B series engine swap:

Can I swap a B-series engine in my 3rd Gen? - 3geez
did you look a little further? go in the performance>engine swaps>jdm b18a/b20a section of the site to find the info you're looking for. the b20a/b21a from 3g prelude will not work, but the b20a from the 2g prelude/3g accord will. i suggest you go look a little harder. the info is there.

Back