Engine Swap Still Bad Idea?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

playa_capper

Ok from what I have read on sites, even this site, is that an H22 in a CRX SI is a bad idea. Most of it was because of the understeer. I ran into a deal that I get the H22, tranny, computer, wiring, axels, and motor mounts for $700. Would swapping the axels take care of the understeer? Passen motorsports told me they would do the swap for $1200 and they said it could be done but thats all they said. I am just thinking twice about it because of all the stuff I have been hearing.

The understeer has nothing to do with the axles. The weight of the h22 is too much for the suspension which is what causes it. If you can find some springs for your crx that are stiff enough you could probably fix the understeering problem. I think you should go for it no matter what other people say. Best of luck to you.

getting a killer suspension setup would denote the understeer...the axles (as stated above) have nothing to do with countering understeer.

are the mounts stock, or the mount kit for the rex? well regardless its a good deal, if you are more interested in the road course than the drag strip, don't do it, also I wouldn't do it becuase working on it is a bitch becuase of such a large motor in a small bay, and what you have to do to the car, however if a reputable shop is going to be doing all the work, and anything that may come up thereafter, go for it :thumbsup:

If I was offered that, I'd turn around and sell it on ebay and quadruple my investment, then go get a nice b16a, drop it in, and either save the rest as an investment in a turbo kit, or buy some headwork and bolt ons.

the springs arent the only problem with an h22 swap. weight distribution is the biggest problem which kills handling. the problem is that you end up with a very front heavy car. and in the case of a crx, almost no weight in the back. this is fine in a straight line, and if you are planning to drag the car, go for it. but if you want to autox or road race i would advise against the swap. when going into a corner at high speeds with a front heavy car and poor weight distribution, the car will want to go where the engnie is going, it wont want to turn and will understeer. you cant take the weight away from the front so the only way you can counter this is to add weight to the rear for improved weight distribution. but then thats more weight and more drag. daily driving really shouldnt be a problem though as you wont be slamming corners at high speeds (unless you are E). check out a member named 2point2 on hona-tech.com. he has done the swap and from what i gather he is very happy with it. do a search on honda-tech for it.

my opinion:

daily driver/drag = yes
autox/road course = no

thanks for all the input... i forgot to say the half shafts come with it too or something like that... i am only going to be using it for driving around and picking up the girls (cause you gotta admit they love imports) and the kind of races i am into out here are usually just down I-270 or if some beefed up truck or american muscle pulls up next to you at the stop light lol... havent got too fully into the racing scene yet cause i have nothing big... I just bought the 90 CRX about a month and a half ago and its just got the exhaust and body kit and z3s on it... the rings are fried in the motor or the pistons cracked or something cause it lets out puffs of blue smoke when you shift and jumps rpms after its warmed up... but I only paid $1500 for it... I use to think they were the ugliest cars but when you drive one its a whole different story... I was going to get a single cam vtec out of a 96 civic for it but the guy wanted $600 for that and the computer but then I had a friend over hear a conversation and he told me about the H22 deal

I say do it. Its a good swap if you want straight line power, and won't be a bitch unless you're autoXing. If I could put a h22 in my CRX for less than I put my b16 in, I'd do it.

Back