Engine Swap To Fix Flood Damage?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KQuinlan

I recently had some unfortunate flood damage to my car:
I was parked in a normal parking spot overnight , and water from the near by bay (possibly salt water)partly combined with alot of rain got into my car from the bottom up. The car (94 civic ex) was parked on a sort of slant, so by the time I got to the car the next day, there was about 1to 2 inches of water in the inside of the car on the passenger side, and about 1/2 inch on the driver's side.
I decided to move the car to a safer/higher spot. When I turned the car on, it started fine, but sounded alittle strange(I think some water may have gotten into the exhaust system). After talking to my insurance company, they said not to start it again, and have it towed so they could do a damage estimate.
A week later they have decided to consider the car totaled. I have the option to buy the car back from them with a percentage of the money that they give me in a settlement. I know that the body of the car is in great shape, and would like to keep it if at all possible (because I have already put a good amount of work into it, ie new headers, intake, short shifter, springs, shocks..etc, and I just love the body style of the 5th gen 2dr civic ex)
The question:
Would it be worth saving the car, and avoiding future salt/water corrosion problems by doing an engine swap (swaping in a jdm b16 SIRII). The advice I have been given so far claims that any car with water damage is basically useless, but I wanted to ask you guys, because you seem more knowledgable about the specifics of a civic than a mechanic not used to dealing with engine swaps.
My idea behind this was that there is not much electronic equipment in a civic that is that low in the car that would not be replaced by a full b16 swap. Is that true, and is it worth investing 3000 back into the car, or is it asking for troubble.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
Kevin

it would probably cost me about 200-500 to buy it back off of them, and if I did a b16 SIRII swap after that it would be about another 3000$. I don't know yet how much the insurance is going to give me for the totaled car, but lets just say it was 2000$. If i put that towards a used civic it would'nt get me far, even towards a bone stock civic ex with 100,000 miles on it(seen them going for 5-6k).

damn that sucks im about to pick up a 93 ex shell..preped for a h22 swap for $400..im also looking at 3 other civics for $600 a piece

also why so much for a b16...i wouldnt pay that much for one..i can get b18b for 1500 and pick up a vtec head for around 500 and you got something much better than a b16 for alot less

Back