engine swap - wiring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

inovermyhead

so my nephew bit off more than he can chew i think.

he has a 94 civic dx ej1

and he got a d15b engine (which he says he thinks was from a 99, but then i heard they stopped using it in 95...)

anyway the new engine is VTEC. The wires were cut, which means no harness.

So we need to buy a harness. Or do we need to customize something?

He has the harness original to his car, but of course it doesn't work as is with a vtec.

Can anyone help guide us in the right direction?

:confused:

ECU question

Follow up:

He is under the impression that he doesn't HAVE TO get a vtec ecu, but he won't benefit from the vtec without it. Is that true? If so, can he use just the stock harness to the non-vtec ecu for now and upgrade later?

Also, he, who likes to get in even deeper, wants to know if he can use a performance ecu(AEM)?

I think he should just get the D15B ECU & get the VTEC harness since it is only $100 and he probably doesn't know how to wire from the solenoid to the ECU.

Thanks.

Yes you can use a non VTEC ECU and not have VTEC.

I wouldn't go near an aftermarket ECU if you're having troubles with simple wiring of VTEC. Wiring VTEC is extremely simple and a quick search will give you everything you need. Don't waste $100.

You need to figure out what motor you have. JDM motors are marked cryptically. "D15B" can be any number of motors from 88-00. If you take a pic of the intake manifold, we can identify it for you. If it's an OBD2 motor I suggest you sell it and get an OBD1. Besides the hassles of converting to OBD2, there are other issues with the throttle cable and vacuum lines etc.

can someone help me with this

I have a 98 honda civic Ek With a d15b motor and i need a harness for it. Does anyone have or know someone that is selling one? Im looking for a 98 honda civic ex 5speed harness.

Back