Engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sc07t

I have an 86 integra 5dr (DA1) UK model with a measly 1.5 carb engine producing 89bhp (more like 20bhp) and was intending to swap it for b18 type r or h22a. im new to engine swap and would like some advise as its hard to find info about the gen1 teg swaps as it seems to be only 91+. i would perfer the h22a as its cheaper to buy but more of a pain in the ass to fit also because mines a carb i would need to add a fuel pump ect. Any advise would be a help.. what parts would i need, chassis bracing ect. looking to turbo it at a later date so if theres any other engines that are a better fit let me know. thanx

i would go with a b series engine over the H22. H series are heavy for such a small car. you would have alot less fitment problems with a b series. i would get a GSR motor and just put ITR valvetrain and cams in and save yourself alot of money. IMO b series is alot more practical.

good idea can anyone tell me what parts i need as im new to this and need to do it over a weekend as i use the car for traveling to work and if im missing parts im stuffed lol

good idea can anyone tell me what parts i need as im new to this and need to do it over a weekend as i use the car for traveling to work and if im missing parts im stuffed lol
a B-series engine swap in that car is a big job to try to do over the weekend - you will need the complete fuel system (tank, pump, lines,etc.) from a fuel injected 86-89 Integra - you will also need to swap out most of the wiring from the fuel injected car - you will need a mount kit, modified shift linkage and custom axles - use the B-series cable clutch transmission if possible (a lot easier) - you will need to do some exhaust work - if it were mine, i would swap larger torsion bars onto it to handle the extra weight (about 100 pounds) of the B-series engine and transmission

here are Hasport instructions for the swap:

http://hasport.com/store/tech/afb1.pdf

decided to go with a d16a9 for the time being and do it in stages as i think it drops straight in just need to sort the wires and fuel system, any help as i cant find the parts i need and how different are the wire looms, cant i just add the wires that are missing.

changed my mind again and might not do the efi coversion and use the d16a9 engine and run some bike carbs or something like that. anyone on here running bike carbs as im not to sure how this works, im guessing that i can use my original fuel tank and lines just use a bike pump which should only be 5psi max. not sure about the wiring do i still need to modify the wiring loom or will it fit straight in and would i lose or gain any power from the original 130bhp.

changed my mind again and might not do the efi coversion and use the d16a9 engine and run some bike carbs or something like that. anyone on here running bike carbs as im not to sure how this works, im guessing that i can use my original fuel tank and lines just use a bike pump which should only be 5psi max. not sure about the wiring do i still need to modify the wiring loom or will it fit straight in and would i lose or gain any power from the original 130bhp.
not bike carbs, but we run dual Weber carbs on our JDM DOHC ZC which is the same engine as the D16A9 - wiring is real simple since you won't have a ECU to worry about - the only wiring we have to the engine bay to make it work is for the fuel pump, starter, alternator, cooling fan and ignition coil - just need high volume, low pressure pump - we run ours at 3 psi - the carbs on the D16A9, with the right camshafts, will produce more power than the fuel injection

100_0847-1.jpg

also could i drop the engine in and use the original 1.5 intake for the time being till i can afford the bike carbs, will it work or need other parts to work or is it too small to use. i need to know because my current engine is burning oil like mad and needs to be changed lol.

one problem you will have with swapping the D16A9 into the 86 Integra is the driver's side engine mount - the D16A9 mount is on the end of the engine (comes through the timing belt cover) - the 86 Integra mount is on the front side of the engine (toward the radiator) - you will need to fabricate a mount to get it to work - depending on what transmission is in the Integra, you may have some fit-up problems with the D16A9 engine to the Integra transmission

the D16A9 mount is like this:

ZCfront2.jpg

the Integra mount is like this:

1gSiengine-1.jpg

Last edited:
i don't believe that the intake from the 1.5 will bolt onto the D16A9 head - not sure which engine you have, but the SOHC D-series intakes have a different bolt pattern from the D16A9

any way it will be the passengers side mount in the uk lol

- depending on what transmission is in the Integra, you may have some fit-up problems with the D16A9 engine to the Integra transmission

im gonna use the one from the engine if i cn its out of a 88 or 89 honda civic

im gonna use the one from the engine if i cn its out of a 88 or 89 honda civic
going to have to make mounts for the transmission also - the 88-91 Civic transmissions have completely different mounts from the 86 Integra - the driver's side (got it right this time!) mount on the 88-91 Civic is on top of the transmission and the 86 Integra is on the front side - the other mounts are also different - it would be better to find a transmission from 86-89 Integra with the DOHC engine - at least it will bolt right into the car and almost bolt to the D16A9 - just need a minor modification

not bike carbs, but we run dual Weber carbs on our JDM DOHC ZC which is the same engine as the D16A9 - wiring is real simple since you won't have a ECU to worry about - the only wiring we have to the engine bay to make it work is for the fuel pump, starter, alternator, cooling fan and ignition coil - just need high volume, low pressure pump - we run ours at 3 psi - the carbs on the D16A9, with the right camshafts, will produce more power than the fuel injection

100_0847-1.jpg

what parts you running, where did you get them from and how much, looks really clean and tidy

Back