1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine will not rev above 4000 rpm

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by hondacivicSit3, Jul 7, 2005.

1. hondacivicSit3

hondacivicSit3 Member

I have a 92 honda civic hatch SI with a d16zc swap in it, the engine will not rev past 4ooo rpm and has no power at all to pull a hill, right before 3500 the revs slow down and stops at 4ooo rpm, it is not like a rev limiter it just acts like it will not turn any more, it has no resister box on the injectors and I am running an ecu from a 94 civic ex. it has an exturnal coil with a msd modified dist. cap. does the resistor box need to be hooked up on the injectors, there stock. I tried swapping the dist. and the ecu but still the same thing happend. the timming is right accourding to the repair manual.

2. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

is there a check engine light ??
    sounds like you might be in limp mode

3. hondacivicSit3

hondacivicSit3 Member

yes for the o2 but I didnt think limp mode did that

4. hondacivicSit3

hondacivicSit3 Member

how do I clear it

5. b204dr

b204dr Senior Member

fix what ever is wrong - or unplug neg for 3 minutes or so - should reset the ecu and persay nothings broken - it will not relight !

6. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

Friend of mine had issues with his ecu and it would do that.. is your ECU chipped? Was it an auto ecu that was "converted" to manual?

7. hondacivicSit3

hondacivicSit3 Member

no it is stock manual p28, but there is a thicker brown wire coming out of the harness but there is nowere for it to go

8. Scorchin Civic

Scorchin Civic Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my B20 in my 1992 VX Hatch. Turned out to be that some of the fuel injector plugs where not plugged in all the way. Just check all your injector plugs and make sure there on the injectors good.

9. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

Well it sounds like limp mode to me...maybe bad O2 sensor?

Ive heard of O2 sensor putting a care into limp mode, but not on OBD1, thats just wierd.

10. noobvang

noobvang Senior Member

Check you MAP and TPS sensor plugs. Might of switched the two by mistake. This is usually a problem cause they are both the same plug shape.

11. jdm-da9

jdm-da9 customized jdm boy

i have a hatch thats in the same boat i take off and i have to shift a 4,000 rpm whats causing that to happen ??

12. divisii

divisii Member

HodacivicSi3, did it used to go above 4000? dumb questions? ... can't you set the rev limit on the msd ... some of these things are set up for V8; & so on a I4 you need to double the setting. Limp mode thorugh the msd? The limp mode on my EK just means less fuel economy & potential output; no rev limits, nothing else. I'd start with a reset as suggested. Then check you ignition, rev limit, spark, grounding. Also, I believe VTEC will not kick in under low oil pressure, so you should look into that, too. Best a luck.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted