Engine Won't Start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

porkfried83

I have just finished putting a D16z6 in my 95 Civic DX. But now I can't get it to start. It sputters like it wants to turn over. And I'm assuming I have done everything correct. So I checked the ECU to see what it was throwing for codes. And this is what I got/

Code 19- Lock-Up Control Solenoid
Code 20- Electronic Load Detector (ELD)
Code 21- Variable Valve Timing And Valve Lift Solenoid
Code 22- Variable Valve Timing And Control Pressure Switch

Would these keep my engine from starting?

Does anybody have any idea how to fix these problems. I would appreciate any help I can get, I don't know to much about how the vtec system!

I think it is throwing a code 19 and I have a 5 speed. And I figured it out, I don't think I have a (ELD) at least not in my fuse box. And I'm a bone head. I have the vtec wiring harness but I still need to wire it into the ECU. I'm new at this. hahaha. I have already started to wire it in. I have a bigger problem now. I did a compression check and it wasn't good at all. Number 1 Cylinder has 180psi #2-60psi #3-135 #4-135. The standard is 184psi and the Minimum is 135psi. Does anybody know what I need to do a leak down test? Hopefully its not the rings cause I don't feel like taking the engine out for the second time. I know my car is just a big anchor right now. I'm just gonna laugh about it, it makes me feel better! lol. Oh ya I did replace the head gasket without checking to see if it was warped or not. Can you put a head gasket on upside down?

yes you can put a headgasket on upside down, you have ass loads of oil leakage too ive seen it happen, so where are you losing compression?

The Intake Valves and Exhaust Valves were leaking. According to the leak down test. I could hear air coming out of my cold air intake, clear as day. I checked and adjusted the valve clearance that was not the problem. So I took the head off. The head gasket was good and on right. My valve seats are ok and the head is not warped. A little help from my dad and found out that my aftermarket adjustable cam gear TDC mark was a little off from my stock one so the timing belt was off by a 1/2 tooth. So I'm putting it all back together right now and going to check and adjust the valve clearance again and see if anything has...hoping got better compression.

I got my engine running. But it Idles funny. Does anybody know why when the engine is idling, the rpm's go down then up, then down, then up, then down. Over and over. Is it in limp mode. Could it be I don't have the vtec wired up yet.

Jumping idle could be caused by vacuum leak, try spraying brake part cleaner or carb cleaner around the I.M and if u do have a leak it should have a change in idle. My engine won't start either....haha. Good luck!

Back