1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by scorch222, May 17, 2003.

1. scorch222

scorch222 Junior Member

I was wondering what would be the better engine... a B16b or a B18c?
    and how come the B16b is almost as much as the B18c5?
    oh this is going to be going into a CRX not sure what year yet

2. onetyme_sam

onetyme_sam Senior Member

b18c is better. the reason why b16b is so much is probably because its so rare. other than that, the b18c has quite a bit more torque. if you trying to go w/ the 180 some hp on the b16b (not sure what its rated at) its some like 10 to 15hp more than the b18c1 but the torque in the b18c1 will get you moving. any B series will fit in crx, hood clearance might be a problem. just get some mounts for the engine and a different hood. (maybe a CF hood) itll fit in any 88 to 91 crx. pretty sure about the HF model. i know something is different w/ the HF model, but not exactly sure what.
    long story short, b18c

3. SleEPeR_CRX

SleEPeR_CRX Senior Member

yes it will work in the Hf, and its better an HF than a CX or a DX, HF = mpfi, so you dont have to get it switched over. also, isnt a b16b only 170 hp? correct me if im wrong, but y would u want a lower hp engine with less torque and spend more? go b18c, its inexpensive relative to the performance you get out of it. also, hood problems... yes and no, my friend put a turbo b18c in his CRX, fit no problem. i have another friend that put 1 into a Civic, and he had to cut off 1 hood support. either way u look at it, its not a huge problem. worry about that after u get the engine in there.

4. scorch222

scorch222 Junior Member

ok thanks..... i am new to all this stuff so... I was thinking of mabey supercharging it later on with a ATI ProCharger kit. what do u think?

5. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

B16B
    Displacement (cc): 1595
    Power (bhp@rpm): 185@8200
    Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 118@7500
    Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
    Bore (mm): 81
    Stroke (mm): 77.4
    Cam Design: dohc
    VTEC?: yes
    OBD: 2
    Year(s) Produced: 1997-2001
    In the following car(s): Honda Civic Type R (JDM)

All that said and done,the B16B is an excellent engine,but the GSR B18C1 is still a better choice,less horsepower and more torque.It is easier to build HP than torque.Thing about it is,the rex is very light and torque isn't as essential to make it move.A much cheaper B16A is a force in a rex.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted