enginelight

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SIRH22

My engine light turned on while i was driving and i lost power after 5000 rpm. Does anyone no what the problem might be? It has good power up to 5k rpm and anything after that just bogs down on throttle response. :unsure:

Thanks for the info. Now does anyone know where the VTEC oilpressure switch is located. Its a 94 Accord EX.

dont quote me but i believe is it right on the vtec solenoid which is to the left of your valve cover on the side of the head. i wou.ld consult a haynes or a helms manual

yes this must def be your prob because at 5200 rpm the engine is desinged to switch to your secondary cam profile (vtec activation) and due to the faulty vtec oil pressure switch it is not so you are remaining on the primary cam lobes which is not desinged and will not make any power above 5200 rpm. also i belive more fuel is delivered when on the secondary profiel so this is anoother reason for the bog and bad throttle response.

Well every since the time my engine light came on, i have not had a problem with the car since then. But i have noticed after the problem occured that the VTEC engagement has been noticable at around or just above 5000 rpm. Before i ever encountered this problem i have never noticed VTEC engagement while at full throttle. Maybe my VTEC has never worked. Is 5200 rpm the VTEC crossover point for a 94 Accord?

So you're running the stock F22B1 engine right now? Or, as your name suggests, are you running an H22?

If you're running the F22, VTEC engages at around 2700 rpm. You won't feel it or hear it, since single-cam VTEC is pretty much worthless (designed only for fuel economy and existing on the intake valves only).

If it's the H22, then as stated above, VTEC engages at 5200 rpm, and you should most definitely feel it.

Back