Eric's '92 Prelude Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pressure wash it or just wash it? i dont have a pressure washer but i could get one. and i plan on painting the valve cover once i get the paint (and the balls to pull it off) this would be my first time pulling one off

You can use a pressure washer, but you don't necessarily need to. Just buy a bottle of degreaser, spray the engine and the bottom of the hood down, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse everything off with a hose. Repeat if necessary. Close the hood, turn the engine on and let it idle for a few minutes to dry everything off. You can use Armor-All on all the hoses and plastic parts too.

You will want to be a little bit careful with this though. I would get some plastic bags from Wal-Mart or something and cover up the air filter and distributor. Take those off and clean them by hand if necessary...

well i started to sand down the valve cover with my dremel today but i ran out of sanding discs and had to go to work :angry:

heres what i got done:

CIMG0703.jpg

Looks decent. You probably won't be able to get it all the way finished until you take it off. Don't forget to pick up a new gasket also...

okay, so the lever for the windshield washers is broke off, can i replace it, put a switch on it somehow or would i have to replace the whole column?

If your car is like mine, it will be fairly easy to remove and install a new wiper lever switch. You have to remove the steering wheel by gently prying the "H" emblem out of the steering wheel, then taking off the 19mm bolt inside (If you do not have a 19mm socket, simply use your wheel lug nut wrench. Then you take the plastic cover off for good measure (truth is that I do not know if you need to take the plastic cover off, just do this if neccessary). Then there is 2 screws holding the lever switch onto the column. Unscrew the screws then get another lever switch from the local auto wrecker. Installation is reverse of removal. If there is another step you are unsure of just ask. I think that is all the steps that are required; for my Civic atleast.

so i would really like to learn some racing things and i just looked at mid- ohio's website and i cant just take the high performance driving thing cuz im not 18, i also have to take the teen defensive driving course and wait till february till i have my license, the prices were $350 for the devensive driving course and $750 using their acura tsx and $625 using your own car, would it be worth it?

how much is the gasket for it? im broke for the next two weeks lol

They're usually $15 - $20 at any auto parts store.

As for the driving classes, yes, I think those would be a good idea, but if you can't take them until February anyway, then don't worry about it right now. Concentrate on getting your car in shape...

i can take the defensive driving one but not the other one now, its a matter of getting money and getting my parents to take me

oh, i forgot to mention, in the high performance one we get to drive s2k's :ph34r: that'll be fun hopefully if i end up taking it. i've always wanted to try racing but my family has always messed with cars but never raced... and i dont like goin in straight lines so i really wanna try road racing

If your car is like mine, it will be fairly easy to remove and install a new wiper lever switch. You have to remove the steering wheel by gently prying the "H" emblem out of the steering wheel, then taking off the 19mm bolt inside (If you do not have a 19mm socket, simply use your wheel lug nut wrench. Then you take the plastic cover off for good measure (truth is that I do not know if you need to take the plastic cover off, just do this if neccessary). Then there is 2 screws holding the lever switch onto the column. Unscrew the screws then get another lever switch from the local auto wrecker. Installation is reverse of removal. If there is another step you are unsure of just ask. I think that is all the steps that are required; for my Civic atleast.
on an accord, you don't have to take off the steering wheel. you can just remove the plastic covers, and then unscrew the combination switch and disconnect the electrical for it.

yeah... i bet i wont.... this think may look like a piece of shit but i love it... this is my first project car and i wanna finish the first one just to know i can do it.
dont let asshole like that dude stop ya. looks awesome keep it up and have fun, that why we fix and work on our car and not get paid cuz its fun! good luck

well i started to get the engine bay cleaned up a little, i sprayed some degreaser on it and it did SOME good but not much and i finally got dremel stuff so i can finish sandin the valve cover, ill have pics up later

well i started to get the engine bay cleaned up a little, i sprayed some degreaser on it and it did SOME good but not much and i finally got dremel stuff so i can finish sandin the valve cover, ill have pics up later

Yeah, like I said, you may need to repeat the process a few times. Douse it with de-greaser, let it sit for a while, scrub off grease with a brush if necessary, and then rinse it off with the hose...

well i got the windshield wiper switch off and it only took a couple screws... and i got the valve cover pretty much cleaned up

CIMG0704.jpg

CIMG0703-1.jpg

CIMG0705.jpg

CIMG0706.jpg

CIMG0707.jpg

CIMG0708.jpg

let me know what you think... i need a new switch for the wipers, anybody know where i can get one?

Try E-Bay too. There are several E-Bay stores that specialize in selling various used Honda parts...

Back