Erratic idle,Car emits a nasty smell

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXSI91

hey,i got a 91 hf with a b18a in it..now when i got the car..it idled at 2 g's cus they didnt have the vaccuum right on it..i managed to get the idle down to about 1300 but its still too high..but anyway...ever since i got my exhaust system and header put on...my car now,will start up,warm up at 1800 rpm,then as soon as its warm enough..the idle will start jumping up and down..from 600 back to 1000 continously..and when im driving and throw it in neutral..the rpms will go all the way down to even 0 for a split second,and then jump up just to keep the engine running...the lights dim and everything,thats how u can tell the rpms got too low....also..i noticed when i installed my hi flow cat..everytime i hammer it...my car makes this nasty fart smelling smell...it smells horrible,and i only can smell it when i hammer it..i thought it was breaking the cat in..but its been about a week since i got the cat on...anyone know what could cause that?

last thing...everytime i start my car up..white smoke comes out,and then when i shift gears,i was told on some days,little white smoke will come out...am i running rich or is somethin else wrong?

please help me....i mean i got another LS motor sitting in my house incase this one blows,but i dont want it to blow over some dumb shit that i couldnt prevent..im just not a maintenence trouble shooting expert.

the jumpy idle is the ICV behind the IM just take it off and clean it with parts cleaner then check it again..
and a high rpm is more than likely a vac issue

i dont know anything about the smell......but white smoke is def oil. blue is coolant, and black is fuel.....i am possitive abut the colors...check the pvc valve first then do a compression test....

my tps is not set and i dont get a wierd idle

Originally posted by formby@Mar 25 2005, 12:43 PM
the jumpy idle is the ICV behind the IM just take it off and clean it with parts cleaner then check it again..
and a high rpm is more than likely a vac issue

i dont know anything about the smell......but white smoke is def oil. blue is coolant, and black is fuel.....i am possitive abut the colors...check the pvc valve first then do a compression test....
[post=478587]Quoted post[/post]​

Do you have a pictire of the ICV for a Honda noob like me? :D

if u open your hood..look RIGHT behind the intake manifold..you'll see a little small cylinder looking thing with bolts on it,sticking off the backside of the manifold..some come with a black plastic cover...some dont.

The nasty smell is your Cat. It may have been shotty when you bought it. My family has a 2004 Accord V6 and we've gone through 4 cats already. If the hi-flow unit you bought had been sitting around in a warehouse for too long, chances are that the catalysts have broken down and are no longer efficient. The nasty "egg/sulphur" smell you have means you cat is shot. Replace the cat, and that will take care of your problem.

As for everything else......whatever everyone else said :ph34r:

Originally posted by formby@Mar 25 2005, 01:43 PM

but white smoke is def oil. blue is coolant, and black is fuel.....i am possitive abut the colors...check the pvc valve first then do a compression test....
[post=478587]Quoted post[/post]​

white smoke is coolant, baby blue smoke is oil, gray/black is unburned fuel. if you are getting white puffs of smoke while you are shifting and the engine has already reached operating temp I would check coolant level and then run a compression test and a coolant pressure test. to try and figure out why you are blowing white smoke

wrong...dont post dumb shit like that.....ive seen all possible variation of engine smoke and white is oil....when i leaned out my first build the rings busted and guess what? WHITE SMOKE...not blue.....when my head was milled wrong....bluish smoke...coolant.....so shut the fuck up mr bear

Originally posted by formby@Apr 1 2005, 02:36 PM
wrong...dont post dumb shit like that.....ive seen all possible variation of engine smoke and white is oil....when i leaned out my first build the rings busted and guess what? WHITE SMOKE...not blue.....when my head was milled wrong....bluish smoke...coolant.....so shut the fuck up mr bear
[post=481399]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: :lol: :lol: :bash:

go boil some coolant and come back and tell me what color it is. when you cook at home water also boils blue right <_< and what the fuck is mr. bear is it a rice jocke I dont get.

listen......you're mr angry bear... and no water and coolant are not the same.....coolant=green & water = clear.....the point is you are wrong....prove me wrong if you are so confident..... boil some coolant and drink it you will fart blue.... check it out lol....white smoke is oil thats it learn it and dont forget it.....

Originally posted by formby@Apr 1 2005, 03:24 PM
listen......you're mr angry bear... and no water and coolant are not the same.....coolant=green & water = clear.....the point is you are wrong....prove me wrong if you are so confident..... boil some coolant and drink it you will fart blue.... check it out lol....white smoke is oil thats it learn it and dont forget it.....
[post=481425]Quoted post[/post]​

I am ASE certified in engine performance and in engine rebuilding I also have my emissions patch. coolant comes in many different colors red=toyota,gold=ford,orange=gm, and chrysler, some imports still use green and they all give off white smoke because of the 50% water/coolant mixture you should have.

take the radiator cap off of your car then start the car wait for it to steam and you will see white smoke. while this is going pull the pcv out and compare smoke since you must be color blind. you will notice the blowby leaving the intake is a very light blue

..mr bear...wrong again...oil smoke is white...why else would my engine smoke white when the pistonrings failed???....im sticking to my experience over your so called ASE experince...ive seen it.........show me different and i'll accept...

Originally posted by formby@Apr 1 2005, 04:29 PM
..mr bear...wrong again...oil smoke is white...why else would my engine smoke white when the pistonrings failed???....im sticking to my experience over your so called ASE experince...ive seen it.........show me different and i'll accept...
[post=481456]Quoted post[/post]​

all you have is your experince I see it every day at work on many different makes. what else failed when your pistonrings failed because they dont fail by themselfs other components will also get ruined. when you melted your rings and looked in your rearview mirror and saw smoke you might have paniced and not noticed it was baby blue. a lot of people make that mistake because it is hard to tell if you are not standing next to the tailpipe.

formby - STFU You are WRONG. Oil burns blue, coolant burns white. I don't care what you obsereved, this is the way the world works. Have you ever seen water boil and produce blue steam? No? I wonder why?

....i am not trying to start a huge dicussion..but water is not coolant.....i just know that oil burns white.....

..if it happends to be that i'm wrong...okay....but i'm sticking to my guns.....tommorrow im putting fresh oil in a can..... and burning it....i dont want to give anyone wrong info but ive seen it first hand....

but i will eat my shop shoes if im wrong...okay?

Originally posted by formby@Apr 1 2005, 04:24 PM
[post=481425]Quoted post[/post]​

hahhaha...you silly....
:lol: :beer: :yuk:

That was good....lol

Back