erratic idle problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok... i did search for this and couldn't find quite my problem explained....

(i have a 90 crx si)

my idle would rev it self up to about 2500 then drop to 700 and repeat... just rev it self... and pretty quickly... (this was about a week ago)
the ecu was throwin a code 1 (02 sensor) so i went ahead and replaced that...

the problem seemed to go away for a little bit... but now its back... and not at every light.... like every 3rd light i'm sitting at in neutral it'll start doing it...

i've replaced my fuel filter (as it needed it anyways) and tried using anohter o2 sensor...

if anyone else has had this problem and can give me some possible soloutions that would be great.... thanx guys

my only geuss is that it could be a map sensor or a tps???? but i'm not too shore and don't have $$ to throw into tons of parts for trouble shooting... but may have to :(

Originally posted by ckyhimself@May 6 2004, 11:57 PM
ok... i did search for this and couldn't find quite my problem explained....

(i have a 90 crx si)

my idle would rev it self up to about 2500 then drop to 700 and repeat... just rev it self... and pretty quickly... (this was about a week ago)
the ecu was throwin a code 1 (02 sensor) so i went ahead and replaced that...

the problem seemed to go away for a little bit... but now its back... and not at every light.... like every 3rd light i'm sitting at in neutral it'll start doing it...

i've replaced my fuel filter (as it needed it anyways) and tried using anohter o2 sensor...

if anyone else has had this problem and can give me some possible soloutions that would be great.... thanx guys

my only geuss is that it could be a map sensor or a tps???? but i'm not too shore and don't have $$ to throw into tons of parts for trouble shooting... but may have to :(

On the back of your intake manifold on the passenger side, there is a little metal box where two coolent lines come out of (very small lines) and one plug. Take off the two bolts holding it down and hose the inside of the thing down with carburator cleaner. The part I am talking about is the Idle Air Control Valve = IACV. Honda/Acura seems to have a bad problem with those, but for a 14 year old car its to be expected. If that doesnt help you, might I say agian it is a 14 year old car and that the gaskets are probly hard and cracked? Dont neglect your gaskets/hoses! Just my $0.02

When you removed your O2 sensor, was it all fouled up ( covered in black crap?)

I'm also having t he same problem, but not as big of a jump, it will idle at about 1000rpm, then jump to 1500-1700 then drop down.

i have no idea what it could be, becuase it did the exact same thing w/ my d16a6 and now it does it with my ZC...

nathan

i cleanedn... and then replaced my IAVC.... not the problem... CKd the 02 sensor again.... definatly clean and fine.... next is the map sensor..... hopefully something will solve this

Back