e's new car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That's not necessary true that the car's parts can't handle the extra power. Just because they set the boost low, doesn't mean the rear end, clutch, engine internals or transmission can't handle more power than what the car comes with. And Tuners like Lingenfelter ,Hennessey, APR, GIAC ect... do a lot of R&D on these cars to determine what they can actually handle over long periods of time.

I see their point in a way, but how likely is it that whatever is wrong with your car is a result of the ECU Tune or Piggy Back? They often use that as the excuse to void your warranty when it was never the cause.

I agree. It's not always the case. Only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch...

Don't forget about the lawyers. Also, if you build an engine to handle 300 horsepower, then only give it 200 horsepower, it will last much longer than if it was making 300 horsepower. Longevity is always a key design aspect for any reputable manufacturer.

so an injector flowing at 50% duty cycle lasts longer than one flowing at 80% duty cycle?
a turbo allowed by the wastegate to make 15 lbs instead of 11 will die sooner?

so an injector flowing at 50% duty cycle lasts longer than one flowing at 80% duty cycle?
a turbo allowed by the wastegate to make 15 lbs instead of 11 will die sooner?

Essentially, yes. You can lift 100 lbs 10 times before fatiguing but you can lift 50 lbs 20 times before fatiguing.

^That was the best analogy I could come up with right now so I apologize lol.

53412923.jpg

I will assume the "now" was supposed to be "not" lol...

One of the reasons (just one, I didn't say the only) manufacturers switch from one ignition coil, to multiple ignition coils, to coil on plug was because coils that had to fire multiple times, due to operating multiple cylinders, had a higher fail rate because they had to fire so many times.

Help me understand what you're trying to say because it seems pretty self explanatory to me, that no matter how well something is built, the more you uses it, stress it, ect... will make it wear/fail faster...

http://www.howrah.org/fuel-injector.html

Some engine tuners will tell you that if your car has a duty cycle of 80%, you have a possible gain of 20%. However, the injector is an electronic solenoid and cannot be held open for too long or it will overheat and fail.

You don't think adding 10% would make the injector fail sooner? I am not saying some huge dramatic change in longevity but it definitely won't last as long as if you left it at 80%.

Last edited:
Brian, study engineering, then tell me that's not how it works. Fatigue is a real thing, and there are people who will spend an entire PhD studying it.

Another example:
G forces. An average sneeze generates about 2.9 G's and you are barely affected. Yet, that amount of positive G force experienced for a minute, and you would undoubtedly pass out.

Brian, study engineering, then tell me that's not how it works. Fatigue is a real thing, and there are people who will spend an entire PhD studying it.

Another example:
G forces. An average sneeze generates about 2.9 G's and you are barely affected. Yet, that amount of positive G force experienced for a minute, and you would undoubtedly pass out.

I think we can all agree that increasing power can put extra stress on car parts causing them to wear out faster. At what rate, I'm not sure. My point is these parts are built to handle more power than what cars come with. Will it wear out faster? Probably. Will it be detrimental to the car? Most likely not unless you are abusing the car 24/7 non stop.

A good example would be Renewal Windows by Anderson ...They are built to withstand extreme temperatures but the company knows 999/1000 they will be installed in places that don't come anywhere near what they can handle.

I understand your mechanical points... but I don't think they are real-world valid for increasing boost.

a spoiled turbo is going to spin nearly the same way it would if it was gated at 11 or 15 psi (real life, what my flash changed). so yes, it will spin a little faster if it's not getting bled off... but when you're already spinning 100,000-150,000 rpms, is there really a LIFE difference if you go a few more k?

Does a turbo have a revolution counter on it? usually it's the seals that go. the seals don't do any work. The heat difference at those speeds is 'negligent' because it's absurd at all rpms. If anything, it's the oil that fails to do it's job.

A good example would be Renewal Windows by Anderson ...They are built to withstand extreme temperatures but the company knows 999/1000 they will be installed in places that don't come anywhere near what they can handle.

I bet they know more will fail than that. Its a game of numbers. A lot of lifetime warranty companies will put say 10% of their selling price into a fund to cover replacements. Knowing that people are constantly moving the warranty, most will do a nontransferrable warranty. I don't know if Anderson does this, but I know that a lot of companies in the paint industry do. When I bought a replacement water heater I asked the guy the difference in quality between the 6 and 9 year warranty units, the answer was you are only paying for the warranty they are the same units.

I understand your mechanical points... but I don't think they are real-world valid for increasing boost.

a spoiled turbo is going to spin nearly the same way it would if it was gated at 11 or 15 psi (real life, what my flash changed). so yes, it will spin a little faster if it's not getting bled off... but when you're already spinning 100,000-150,000 rpms, is there really a LIFE difference if you go a few more k?

Does a turbo have a revolution counter on it? usually it's the seals that go. the seals don't do any work. The heat difference at those speeds is 'negligent' because it's absurd at all rpms. If anything, it's the oil that fails to do it's job.
Compressing air generates heat; ie, the more you compress air, the more heat you generate. Also, that 15 psi is pushing on the compressor wheel in the opposite direction of the compressor outlet, which means the shaft is being pushed against the bearing/seal. So, the extra rpm is not the only thing to worry about.

Sure, the actual forces are small, because of the small area, but 15 psi is a 36% increase over 11 psi. That means the maximum side loading on the compressor bearing is 36% higher than stock.

Driving habits have a huge effect in this scenario. But, with everything equal except the increase in boost pressure, the turbocharger on the unmodified engine will have measurably longer bearing life.

I think we can all agree that increasing power can put extra stress on car parts causing them to wear out faster. At what rate, I'm not sure. My point is these parts are built to handle more power than what cars come with. Will it wear out faster? Probably. Will it be detrimental to the car? Most likely not unless you are abusing the car 24/7 non stop.

My point is that the parts are designed to handle more power in order to increase longevity. Increasing power over stock decreases longevity.

As far as the windows, temperatures and wind loading and statistics are used to determine reliability, then it's just a matter of economics to complete the picture.

Also, we must be only about 10 posts away from complete off-topic status.

I would agree with you IF hyundai made the turbo. but they didn't. it's a sourced IHI Td05H unit with efficiency maps up in to 19 psi and used on many other applications.

Last edited:
Back