ETA for coilover shock replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MadEgo

What is the average time for a novice mechanic to install illuminas and coil overs? Have any good tips? We have a open shop and all tools available to do it at our disposal.

depends on the shape of the bolts. If there is some rust and they snap, good luck. I know Experienced shops WITH air tools that took over 4 hours because of the bolts were so screwed. This weekend, I actually redid my suspension to clean my teins from the winter salt, and replace a screwed shock mount, and since all the bolts were in pretty good condition, I spent about an hour on them. I swear my front swaybar took longer.

coilovers are easy, cuz you don't need a psring compressor 98% of the time.
30 min a corner tops for a beginner, maybe more for the first one.
grab an after noon and a 6 pack :)

Thanks fellas, its a 94 civic and I am in AZ so rust isn't an issue. Should I replace all the bushings while I am at it or can I use the same ones assuming they are in decent condition? A few hours is all I need, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to tie up my whole evening.

you can use the same bushing if there in good shape. Just make sure that when you put the new shock shaft into the mount and you are tighting it you don't compress the bushing to a diameter biger the the bushing socket.

you'll need a press for most of the suspension bushings

You can use a table vise, and a set of ratchet sockets. one on one side, and a smaller one on the other. Done it before, works fine :)

Sweet :driver: that car will be rollin on new shocks this weekend then if all goes well :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Good looking out. :angel2: :angel2:

I got my shocks put in with coilovers, it rides nice. The illuminas are definetly worth the extra dough. I found out I needed new P/S rack, that hit the wallet hard so there goes my chances for a rear disc conversion anytime soon. OUCH :bash:

Yeah I had stock suspension before. I lowered my car about 2", and left the shocks at the street level. I am still playing with the ride height and fine tuning things. I am rolling on stock wheels.

Back