European Probe Lands on Saturn's Moon, Titan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

European Probe Lands on Saturn's Moon, Titan

DARMSTADT, Germany -- A European space probe plunged into the hazy atmosphere of Saturn's moon Titan on Friday, and elated mission controllers said it had successfully deployed its parachute and begun collecting data on the way to the mysterious surface.

Officials said it would be hours before fuller data showed whether the Huygens probe landed intact -- but they were jubilant as early signals showed it powering up for entry, then beginning the 21/2-hour parachute descent during which it was to gather information that could shed light on how life arose on Earth.

"We can presume that it has landed -- in whatever state it may be," European Space Agency spokesman Bernhard von Weyhe said.

Early data showed that one of Huygens' experiments, designed to measure the Titanic winds, had begun to work, said Jean-Pierre Lebreton, ESA mission manager. Officials hoped that usable scientific data -- included pictures -- would follow in hours.

"We clearly have an engineering success," Lebreton said. "We are going to work very hard to convert this into a scientific success." (AP)

landing_03_H.jpg

Color pics are in. Looks like they tore a page from the Mars book and tinted it. It's important to remember that what you are seeing is NOT real. The surface may be yellow, but chances are - Isn't. The atmosphere is present but not like what you would see on Earth or Mars - It's distance and composition wouldn't have the belljar effect in the sky. What you're looking at is an intepretation of the Titanic surface.

The sun would be more like a bright star in the daylight sky - With sharp defined shadow and light. The air isn't yellow - But more looking like a desert on earth. Which is what Mars looks like.

Color correction is something that has a lot of people misled into thinking other planets look like. If you were to hold a handful of Soil from the Moon, what do you think it would look like in your hand ? White powder ? No. The Moon is depicted as being white because of what we understand the nightly occurance to be colored. Mars, likewise is tinted red in many pictures for no good goddam reason.

These pictures are bunk to me. Titan pictures show rocks that are so small that it's like the photo is being taken from 2 inches above the ground. The scale is all off, the fisheye has been chopped off and the detail that I want - Of course - Is blurred and not the same resolution as the unimportant stuff.

Once again, they robbed us of some great images. Taking directly upon what our latest Mars imag(ine)ery.

-> Steve

I'll give you a hint. Look at the circle in between the two rocks. What is that circle ?

Originally posted by Celerity@Jan 15 2005, 06:12 PM
These pictures are bunk to me. Titan pictures show rocks that are so small that it's like the photo is being taken from 2 inches above the ground. The scale is all off, the fisheye has been chopped off and the detail that I want - Of course - Is blurred and not the same resolution as the unimportant stuff.
[post=446165]Quoted post[/post]​

So you're questioning the validity of the pictures up on the NASA site? Oookay then, whatever. :huh:

http://www.lupomesky.cz/Titan_huygens_land..._mosaic_big.jpg

Nice poster done by some enthusiasts. These guys were able to put together the mosaics of Titan's surface before NASA did. This is a 2.2MB file, so 56K buys can take a bathroom break as it downloads. This not only looks damn neat, it does a good job of approximating where the lander touched down.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jan 15 2005, 06:12 PM
Color pics are in. Looks like they tore a page from the Mars book and tinted it. It's important to remember that what you are seeing is NOT real. The surface may be yellow, but chances are - Isn't. The atmosphere is present but not like what you would see on Earth or Mars - It's distance and composition wouldn't have the belljar effect in the sky. What you're looking at is an intepretation of the Titanic surface.

The sun would be more like a bright star in the daylight sky - With sharp defined shadow and light. The air isn't yellow - But more looking like a desert on earth. Which is what Mars looks like.

Color correction is something that has a lot of people misled into thinking other planets look like. If you were to hold a handful of Soil from the Moon, what do you think it would look like in your hand ? White powder ? No. The Moon is depicted as being white because of what we understand the nightly occurance to be colored. Mars, likewise is tinted red in many pictures for no good goddam reason.

Once again, they robbed us of some great images. Taking directly upon what our latest Mars imag(ine)ery.

-> Steve

I'll give you a hint. Look at the circle in between the two rocks. What is that circle ?
[post=446165]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah what he said......

Back